1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This can't work...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FollowThePanda, Oct 13, 2010.

1. FollowThePanda

I am having a minor freak out.
    I have come out to most of the people I think should know, none of them really care and I think the only one who freaked out was me. Last year, I was "outed" by my parents through an instant message conversation that I had with one of my friends and they later found and read. They basically completely freaked out, sent me to therapy and basically put themselves and me in denial. I simply WAS NOT READY to tell them yet. They are pretty homophobic and there is no way they would ever accept me. I also haven;t told my brother but have been slowly easing the topic in with my mom, who is the worst of all.
    However, I am an active member of GSA at my school and other GLSEN organizations in my community. I had requested not to be sent any mail to my house because my parents would find it,but apparently there was some sort of misunderstanding because yesterday I received a packet at my house that included gigantic rainbow posters with slogans, stickers and other things to prepare for Ally Week. My mom found this and I found myself yet again making up lies to cover my tracks.....

Its starting to drive me nuts. All I want of to be able to be myself without having to spend a month couch hopping and convincing my parents that this is who I am. They tell me repeatedly that this is for my own good, and that by "labeling" myself I will ruin my life. They really don't listen, or understand. I don't know what to do anymore...:help:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's something to keep in mind. Most therapists are aware that teenagers can and will be gay. Because of that, if your mother takes you to therapy again, don't fight it. USE it. During your first session, say "My mother found out I'm bisexual, and she freaked out about it. I'm having issues trying to get her to not to freak out about it, and to be more accepting." Maybe the therapist can help with that. And feel free to mention how you're still having some freak-out issues about it, as well. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. FollowThePanda

My therapist...not a nice person.
    She's more like an exorcist...

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does your mother go with you to these appointments? Are they "joint therapy"?

Lex

5. FollowThePanda

No. She sticks me in a room with the lady and then we talk for an hour and then i leave.