1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A kinda serious question.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Koll, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Koll

I have a friend, He'll remain unnamed. I've known him for 3 months and we've basically become best friends. We have a pretty touchy-feely friendship (The hugs, Wrestling, etc). I can lean my head on his shoulder, Or whatever. I think the farthest we've gone is a massage. He's not exactly judgemental of homosexuals either. So there may be a chance in my book.

I don't plan on telling him my feelings for him anytime soon, But when I do (Perhaps in 6 months if this continues), What should I be prepared for?

EDIT: Still closeted. He dunno :L

#1 Koll, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What should you be prepared for? A variety of potential responses. Ranging from him saying he's cool with it (but let's ease up on the wrestling) to him asking you out.

Lex

3. Frer3

You are so lucky! I wish I had anything like what you have. I live in small-town Colorado, and there are hardly any gay guys, not to mention the lack of questionables.

4. Jeremy

^...to him not being cool with it and freaking out on you.

I'm really sorry to be the pessimist, but I've definitely had my fair share of bad experiences and have known people who've had bad experiences. Sure, maybe it's not likely, but you really should be prepared for anything. I'd hate to give positive reinforcement just to hear he took it poorly and got creeped out or something. But then again, you know your friend better than any of us, so you would have the best sense of how he might react. I just hope if and when you do decide to say anything, that it all goes well, and that you're prepared for any outcome.

Best of luck! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

EDIT: Sorry, this was in continuance to Lex's post. XD

5. Koll

Looking at a friend knowing your lovesick and he'll either 75% chance break your heart or 25% chance he'll embrace you-- isn't really fun. :frowning2:

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We all want each other's problems. :slight_smile:

Honestly, if he seems accepting, your best bet is to come out to him. Don't tell him about your feelings about him (yet). Just tell him you're gay (or bi, or questioning). This won't put him in an awkward position. And it'll be his cue to come out to you if he feels the same way. If he doesn't take it, you can dangle a VERY casual "Now I just need to work on finding a boyfriend" out there, and see if he takes the bait. If not, he's straight (or not-ready-yet, which amounts to the same thing) and you'll just have to accept that.

But I know a lot of guys would rather live in the agonizing limbo of Maybeland, because they'd rather still cling to the hope that maybe he's gay'n'interested than remove all doubt. Your call.

Lex

7. Koll

I don't understand how he can't be somewhat bi-curious at any attempt, though. He's a really touchy person, as am I.. I'm still stuck on the "Potential consequences" factor.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have straight friends who are touchy-feely. Well, one might argue they're actually "bi-curious", but if so, they're not doing anything with that curious part. Which would make them straight. :slight_smile:

What are the "potential consequences" you fear?

Lex

9. Koll

Loss of friendship... He's a really genuine friend, Country-boy at heart, etc.

.. I don't want to loose him :/

#9 Koll, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Lex already pointed out some of my thoughts.

If you find him to be accepting, I would tend to think that it would be safe to come out to him. If you have a solid friendship with him, and he is a genuine friend, your coming out to him, shouldn't change that. Take it one step at a time.

Yeah, he might be less inclined to be as touchy as he is now, but it isn't what keeps the friendship together. Even though he might ease up on the wrestling and hugs, your friendship should still remain close.

Give it some thought.

11. Darkwing65

I also have a friend like this. We'd get drunk and hold hands lol. I was pretty smitten at the time, but i never took it any further. He currently is my best friend and we're really close.

12. Koll

I remind myself sometimes it may just be better to be his friend- However I can't help but just to wish..

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If all signs point to him being "OK with the gays", then I'd say coming out is the smart move. Chances are good that he isn't gay, but he'll be very supportive, and letting him can actually strengthen your friendship. (Should you be able to share everything with your friends?) You might need some time to get your head back into place, but my theory is it's better to know than live in limbo.

Lex

14. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Koll,coming out to your friend, as you would anyone else should not bother a good friend,but telling them you have feelings for them is not a good way to tell them.

Once you have come out as curious/bi/gay whatever, you have given them an opening to come out or even mention any feelings they may have.Unless he tells you any differant you should regard him as straight,even if he is gay he is still very young and may not be out to himself yet.If he knows your out to him he may start questioning himself for a day or two then mention something,but again hes straight unless he tells you any differant.

Better to keep a good friend,which should be easy, even if he knows your gay,not so easy if you come on to him and he doesnt feel the same.Just be there for him as a friend because you will have given him an opening to come to you.

15. Koll

Well I think I somewhat have my doubts now, As he's asked some random chick out. :dry: I don't hope for him to fail but I don't entirely hope for him to completely fall for her..

Classic case of FML I suppose.

16. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Is it really a FML? Not really. You still have a friend (and a best friend to that) in him. Sometimes, it is better to have and to keep a friendship than to do something that could end the potential of letting the friendship grow, or perhaps even the friendship all together.

If you feel that it would be good to come out to him, try going for it. From what you have said, he seems to be accepting and supportive. Perhaps you coming out to him, will allow you to be more yourself around him. Give it some thought.

You will find someone down the road. (*hug*)

17. Koll

I know.. I just can't help but be a little brought down, I suppose.

I'm more than "Myself" around him personality terms, as I feel 100% comfortable with him- Its just I'm too chicken @#$^ to take things any further. and now I feel more declined to do so..

I haven't come out to anyone as of yet and don't plan to until I can financially support myself, as I'm just the type of person who would think about that.

#17 Koll, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  18. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)

What might help a bit and if possible and if you haven't had the chance yet, try to join a LGBT youth support group in your town or at school. Maybe do a couple of online searches and see what comes up.

It's great that you are 100% comfortable with him/around him. But don't let him asking a girl out, get you off the path that you were on. Even though he asked a girl out, there is no reason why you can't come out to him. But, if you feel you would rather not come out to him at the moment, that's perfectly fine as well.

Come out whenever you feel ready to come out or when you feel comfortable to let others know.

19. ardere

As much as you probs don't wanna do this, have you though of asking him what his sexuality is? I don't mean outright just say "are you gay" cause i personally would find that rude but anyway. You said he doesn't really mind homosexuals. Just bring up a similar topic in whatever manner, ask him if he's had any girlfriends and just lead it on into seeing what his sexuality is.
    I for one don't ever go for a guy unless he outright flirts with me where its really really obvious or i know for sure he isn't straight and have asked him personally

20. Koll

I don't think thats the .. erm, best way to bring anything of sexual manners up, as it seems he's really reserved when it comes to those kind of things.

I still don't know what I want to do entirely. I think I'm just going to wait for now and see what happens.