1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One step forward, two steps back w/ my dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by beckyg, Sep 30, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    As I've mentioned before, my Dad took my sons' homosexuality much better than I expected. I give him alot of credit for doing the right thing by telling Adam he loved him no matter what. He still seems stuck in denial to a point though. Like when we took our family vacation in July, my sons' boyfriend was supposed to join us. My dad did not want to go if the bf was going. I pretty much said he is a member of our family. Get used to it. It turned out the bf couldn't go. Dad did go.

Last night, Adam and I were out at my parents house. My Dad always has the news on so our conversation went political as it always does if we are watching the news. He's a Republican and stated out loud that no woman or black person should be President of the U.S. :eek: OMG! Then just out of the blue, came his Bible based teachings that he knows from his very strict father who had Bible study with his 14 children every night. My dad doesn't go to church except for when his mother was alive, he went on special occassions to make her happy. I don't even remember what the topic was, but something was said about people believing the end of the world was coming. I laughed and said that people have been believing that as long as the world existed. My dad just immediately got irritated with me and says "Laugh all you want, Beck! The world is coming to end, sooner than you think!" Oh for crying out loud! Then Adam mentioned that he found a church he likes so he has been going to church every Sunday. My Dad looks at him with this slight glimmer of hope that he might be turned from homosexuality. LOL Then reality sets in and he says "what is it, some off the wall church?" Adam says "It's the same one Oback Barama goes to." Dad made some comment like "oh that figures." Sometimes I wonder why my son still goes to visit him. Geez!

2. Nicknikko

Wow becky! you are an awesome mom! Even thought mine seems accepting of me being gay. I still know she wishes I was straigth plus i'm sure she would never fight for gay's rights etc... ;[ '

You are awesome

Plus the story was kind of funny haha i could picture my grandparents doing the same as your dad! haha ;]

3. pirateninja

That sort of sounds a bit like what my grandad might say. And to be honest, maybe what my late grandfather might say. Haha, I know my status says "out to everyone" but as for my extended family, if they don't ask they don't need to know. I guess as soon as I get a girlfriend then everyone will find out sooner or later and then I can worry about extended family reactions.

4. Bryan

It is pretty cool that some one who has a not so accepting father can be so open and accepting. Your son is really lucky to have you.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well luckily, I inherited more of my Mom's traits than my dads. But sometimes.....I hear words come out of my mouth that are soooo like my Dad. Makes me cringe! :bang:

6. Hydrogen

This is off topic, but I find it funny your post was # 666 for you, and you were talking about the world ending.. is this a sign?

Seriously, Becky, you are amazing, and you must have taught your son well, and I would more then likely not visit my grandfather if he was like that, but the fact your son does shows he is a better person then I am to put up with that.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh my gosh, I didn't even notice that. LOL