1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at work

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aslan, Oct 17, 2010.

1. aslan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've just started a new job, and the other day the question came up "is there a woman in your life?". I was quite taken aback, as I never usually get asked this kind of question, I'm quite good at avoiding them. I instictively said "no", a reflex reaction after years in the closet. It's technically true, but I was kicking myself afterwards as I felt I had missed the perfect opportunity to be out in my new job from the beginning. I hate this kind of situation, it just makes me feel like a liar. I was ready to be able to tell people straight off now I have to come out all over again to a new set of people. How do I go back on what I've already said without appearing dishonest or uncomfortable with myself? I was really hoping I might meet someone through this job... :frowning2:

2. Pendrin2020

Be honest with yourself and how you feel and people tend to pick up on those vibes.

when all else fails, look them in the eye and say, "meh, women are nice, but they're just not hairy enough for me." LOL. believe it or not, it's the best line I've got. LOL>

3. Jim1454

Gosh - I was sure I had responded to this...

I don't think you need to worry about being dishonest. You answered the question honestly. You would have said the same thing had they asked you if you had a significant other in your life - which would have been a more sensitive way of putting it. So don't sweat it.

If you want, you could always go back to that person and say "Hey - remember when you asked me if I had a girlfriend. I am single, but I'd have a boyfriend if I had someone special in my life. I just wanted to clear that up. Thanks."