1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you doomed if you're alone?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mistie, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Mistie

Mistie Guest

I'm not exactly alone... I have friends... I have family... I have a supportive community.
    It's just that I get lonely at times. Both with romance and friendship. I feel like it's just me overthinking everything, and becoming stressed out for nothing....

I feel lonely cause I watch everyone else around me have a huge social life, and me, well, I can be social, just not THAT social. And I'm okay with that. My fear is that I could eventually drift from my friends over time. My worst fear is to be completely alone with no one to turn to. Plus, I always hear how life is only worth living through your relationships - and I agree with this statement. I think goodwill and sustaining relationships is the main principles of living through life, since it can be so rewarding.
    Therefore, I feel that if I drift from people, my relationships will fade and then my life isn't much worth for living anymore....

Meh. Bottom line is I'm over analyzing life and I need to stop. Halp? :dry:

2. Happy Vampire

I kind of know how you feel. I live through people. Without someone I would probably go crazy. So just try to keep close to a few people. It works for me.
    I also get lonely because I have no one that I truly love to share life with but I just keep thinking that someday I will find someone and my day doesn't seem to bad. Just think that and maybe it will help you too. Also quit over analyzing life. It is the worst thing you can do. Try to do anything that will keep your mind off it.

3. Jim1454

Speaking from experience (I have an additional 22 years on you) I would say that you should try to relax and not worry about this. Don't get really hung up on maintaining the relationships that you presently have. The fact of the matter is that you likely WILL drift apart from your highschool friends. You're friends with them partly because you attend the same highschool and live in the same area. You won't for much longer though. You'll all go off to university and then off to work, and your circle of potential friends will grow exponentially.

In my case, it's the people I met in university who became my 'life long' (so far) friends. I think that's the case because we had similar career interests, similar academic abilities, etc. But even then, I've only maintained a close relationship with 2 or 3 of those people. But then I've met other people along the way. I met the person I would marry and children with - she remains one of my best friend. I've met my boyfriend, who completes me. And I didn't meet him until I was 35.

So try to take life as it comes and not fuss over this. Everyone is different. Some people are simply more inclined to be social than others. We're all different.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As Jim mentioned, try to take life as it comes. As you have said, you have friends, family and are surrounded by people who support and care about you.

As you go along in life, some relationships will become weaker and perhaps even fade over time, while others will grow stronger. Even though you might find yourself drifting away from some friends, you will find or make new friends at some point. I have lost friends over the years, but I have made also some new ones.

Sustaining friendships and making them work is rewarding and it is definitely worth your time, energy and efforts to try to keep the friendships that you have. But at the same time, if friendships drift apart (for whatever reason) life is still worth living because you might just find yourself making some new friends. Like Jim, I have gotten to know more people during my university time than during high school. In fact, I have met three of my closest friends at university.

So yeah, enjoy life and just take it as it comes. Enjoy the friendships that you currently have and if you find yourself drifting apart from some friends, try to make some new friends.

Things usually have a way of working out. (*hug*)

5. Dare2bProud

I do a lot of things alone. I go to movies, stage shows, museums and coffees shops. As much as I would love to have a relationship, I do enjoy doing some things by myself. I have learned a hard lesson in the past year, sometimes you just have to learn how to be alone and figure out who you are by yourself. Once you figure yourself out and have the confidence people will take notice and you will find that special someone. I have a lot of friends and I take pride in managing those, but things do happen and you outgrow each other. Life is a challenge and adventure everyday!

6. Mistie

Mistie Guest

Thanks for the helpful responses, everyone. :]

I'm now attempting to go with the flow on things. If something ever decides to irk me again like this, I've decided that I'll probably just go out and run in order to distract my over-thinking. If I can't run, I'll do something else that can completely distract.
    In reality, my life is awesome. The problem is that I can just get down at times because I worry too much over nothing. If I can distract myself, there's a good chance I'll get over it eventually. Have to live life one step at a time.

Thanks again!