1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golden opportunity tomorrow with parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by foofighter, Oct 17, 2010.

1. foofighter

OK. I really, really want to come out my parents tomorrow because (a) I will feel a lot better psychologically/emotionally – I can finally "move on" (b) a lot of people know now, including all my friends, my friends' parents, my roommate, and a lot of other people in my grade at high school (c) I'm tired of pretending to be straight around them – I feel like I'm lying to them and hurting our relationship (d) they will be fine with it. Dad will probably be shocked at first but he can get over it. Mom has obvious suspicions and she told me a long time ago that she would be fine if I was gay.

Tomorrow is a GOLDEN opportunity because it's my last full day with them on my fall break until I see them at thanksgiving (and at thanksgiving there's family and junk). I feel if I don't tell them there's a chance word is going to get to them before I tell them and I feel that would be so hurtful to my parents.

So one question I thought of in case the ideal scenario doesn't present itself: if I had to ask them to talk with me alone later (because they never are alone with just me in an appropriate setting) – how can I ask them without freaking them out?

And I know it's silly, but I think a little encouragement from you guys would really help me out!

I PRAY TO THE GAY GODS THAT I WILL GET IT OVER WITH TOMORROW.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off, here is a bit of encouragement! If you need to, read over all of your reasons as to why you want to come out to your parents again, and then just take it from there. You can do it! :slight_smile:

I think it would be okay if you just ask your parents if you could talk with them a bit later and to meet you in the living room/appropriate setting or where ever you feel comfortable. That's what I essentially did. After breakfast I asked my parents to meet me in the living room as I wanted to tell them something and I took it from there. I first mentioned it to my dad, and then I called my mom, and just asked them to sit down.

Alternatively, you can also come out to them separately if you don't get the chance to have both of your parents together.

It sounds like that you are ready and from what you have mentioned, it seems that things will turn out to be alright. I hope it goes well for you.

Good Luck! (*hug*)

3. Paper Heart

You will love the feeling of being out to your parents. Trust me. It's almost euphoric :wink:

Like Mirko said, you can ask to speak privately or one at a time, but as long as you are ready I can only say go for it!

Good Luck!

4. Ralivar

I hope everything goes well, and from what you have said it sounds like it will. I can't vouch for how it will feel coming out to your parents, but it sounds like you are ready to tell them. I think that Mirko's right you just have to sort of see how it goes and tell them when it seems best, whether that's individually or together.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes (if you want to.)