1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mom issues

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confused102188, Oct 18, 2010.

1. confused102188

My mom actually quit watching the show How I met your mother because she found out Neal Patrick Harris is gay! What the fuck. I was inches from telling my parents I'm gay till now. HUGE step backwards.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -_- gotta love bigotry. I hope you're okay. But I think you should probably ask her what the big deal is. It doesn't necessarily mean that you're saying your gay, just that you have no problem with it.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! (*hug*)

I don't know if this will help a bit, but prior to my coming out to my parents, I had the feeling that my mom would have a hard time accepting it as she displayed a few reactions to a couple of LGBT related news items (such as the legalization of gay marriage) that left me with a similar feeling that you are having right now. But once I came out to her (and to my dad) not only did she accept me and was/is supportive but it also made her more curious about what it means to be gay.

In other words, even though your mom might have reacted that way, it doesn't necessarily mean that she would not be accepting or supportive once you do come out to her. It might not be a step backwards at all.

What you perhaps could do is talk to her a bit about Spirit Day and what it stands for. Mention to her that six gay teens have committed suicide over the last month or so because of bullying and not being accepted by others. Listen to what she has to say in response, and how she reacts to it. I think that would give you bit of a better indication as to where she stands and feels about LGBT. (*hug*)