1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I dont understand...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by No One, Oct 18, 2010.

1. No One

Recently my mom has become really vocal about her disapproval of gay men and lesbians (more so gay men) and I have no idea why. Every two guys come on the tv holding hands or sitting too close to one another she starts making noises like "Eww" and "Ick" and then talking about how disgusting it is. It's like all the sudden she is increasing her negative comments for some reason.

What do I do to keep my sanity?

2. valerievalerie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like my mother.
    Hugs for you- hope things improve.

3. Paper Heart

Does she know about you? Your out status says your done denying it, but if she knew and is that critical, well its time for a sit down. And if she doesn't know, then its still time for a sit down. She needs to know that it makes you uncomfortable to hear her comments so she'll hopefully stop. But if she's very homophobic orr religious or some other red flag, then proceed with caution.

4. starfish

Typical passive agressive behavior.

Usually in such cases I escalate the situation, by confronting them about it. From what you posted in the past I'm not sure that would be best course of action.

It is clear your parents have a problem with you being gay. Just remember that it is their problem, not yours.

As for why now. There has been a lot of gay topics in the news lately. So that is likely the cause of it becoming an issue with your mom again.

My suggestion is just to wait it out. The elections are in a few weeks and there will be a whole but of stuff in the news for folks to be upset about. Ultimately this is something that you will need to deal with, but I suggest waiting a few years.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    does she know your gay? If you haven't told her she probably suspects.

If she does know your gay then she seems to think she can shame you straight, which makes about as much sense as a soup sandwhich.

If your out to her then tell her to stop. Its not going to change anything. All IS doing is driving a rift between the two of you. You won't be living at home forever and how she acts now will decide how much you want to visit when your gone.

6. Elven

When I introduced my Mom to my best friend I later told her (and she told my Dad) that she is a Lesbian and they know I hold her in very high esteem so since my parents are normally very considerate people, it had the side effect of them no longer taking down to gay guys in my presence other than occational comments of campness.

So my point is you could just use the "my friend is" approach and reflect your opinions onto someone else to leave you in the clear, so next time she says it is disgusting you could just say that you have a gay friend and don't see anything wrong with it then say your opinions.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your parents know, though, right? So just don't play along. When she says two guys are disgusting, just say "Actually, I think it's kinda sweet." Or add some humor. "I'll say it's disgusting. Those pants with that shirt? Ugh!"

Lex

8. Elven

Oh OK if you're out to her my advice was a fail, anywho what Lex said, if she knows you're gay then she's being hurtful and knows it, either that or she is trying to convince you "not to be gay" or something. I wouldn't start a fight with her but don't just take it quietly either, at least make a passive point of what you think if she brings it up again.