1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another college essay..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Danny19, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Danny19

well im jumping up and down for having another essay with a teacher that makes bad prompts. NOT... anyways i have to write an essay for my writing skills class and i suck at this. Im having headaches just thinking what to write.Im the worst thesis writer so its even harder.. Tmrw i have conference with my teacher and i have to take a 3 page rough draft. Its 8pm, almost 9pm and i havent got anything down. so i decided to get some help from my fellow EC'ers..lol..

heres the prompt

Prompt:

Chose one ballot question, one pair of candidates for elected legislative office, or one judicial candidate on the November 2010 California ballot and research that "issue." There are only two races you may not use: No writing on Prop 19 and no writing on the gubernatorial election. Then, based on what you have learned, in a 5 page minimum paper take a position on the following question and argue for that position in a thesis-driven essay:

WHAT IS THE BEST METHOD (OR COMBINATION OF METHODS) VOTERS CAN USE TO EDUCATE THEMSELVES ABOUT "DOWN TICKET" OR LESS PUBLICIZED BALLOT QUESTIONS OR CANDIDATES, AND WHY IS THAT METHOD (OR THAT COMBINATION OF METHODS) MORE EFFECTIVE?

i have chosen Prop 23 btw...

please and thanks for any advice! really appreciate it

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Did you do any research on the issue, i.e. a ballot question, and the candidates or one judicial candidate?

It sounds like that once you have done some research, not just on the ballot question and the candidates but also on the various methods on how voters can educate themselves say for example on "less publicized ballot questions" you will be able to argue which method is more effective and why.

If Proposition 23 is a less publicized ballot question, one way for example voters could educate themselves about it would be to read the information on the California Statewide General Election Official Voters Information Guide website. Now, is that an effective method?

#2 Mirko, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  3. Danny19

yea. thats perfect. thanks... so far i got searching online and that... but is there like a handbook guide to it too?

4. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Danny19

aw thanks for taking time to search for these. however i already have these websites. Thanks though! :slight_smile:

6. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe try looking at some news paper articles online.

Now, if you think about it, you have another 'method' of how voters can educate themselves about the issue. Have a look at the kinds of newspapers that mention Proposition 23. :slight_smile:

7. Danny19

oh good idea. thanks. so far i got websites, newspaper articles, and the handbook guide