1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caregiver Burnout

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Leon481, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some of you may know a little about my situation. I've been taking care of my half-insane, mostly disabled Mom for quite a few years now and as of late it's becoming unbearable. I was looking around online for any possible help I could find and I discovered I'm apparently suffering from what's known as caregiver burnout.

While I'm relieved to know that these feelings of pure hatred and utter despair are normal and to be expected in my situation, I'm not finding a lot of information on how to deal with it. Plenty on how to prevent it, but not much on what to do when you are in the middle of it.

So has anyone experienced this before or maybe known someone who has? I could use all the advice I can get. (I actually spent roughly 4 hours writing a long, drawn out post on another new found help forum about all this.)

I know this isn't the usual kind of advice topic these forums usually get, but I actually respect the people here and thought it was worth a shot at least.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Leon,

I don't know about Georgia specifically but in most areas, there are visiting nurses and home health aides that are free or provided by medicaid/medicare and they can specifically provide respite care (which is care to give the main caregivers a break). That won't solve your long-term issue but it might give you some "sanity time."

In the longer term depending on the situation, it would be sensible to look into what other options there are. In most cases, there is some sort of either inpatient care that will be paid for, though if it's paid with medicaid or medicare funds, the places are either in the middle of nowhere or not-so-nice. But at a certain point, you have to have help.

Also, if you contact your local Hospice (even if your mom's not terminal), they can put you in touch with support groups for caregivers. It sounds silly, but just sitting around with others in your same situation can be remarkably healing and give you a huge break. No one who isn't doing, or hasn't done, what you're doing understands just how much of a sacrifice it is. I've been there (with my own mom) so I do understand how stressful it can be.

3. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We actually have a nurse who comes twice a week, but she's not here for very long and all she really does is monitor some dangerous wounds.

I've looked for resources around here, but we actually are kind of in the middle of nowhere and there's not much available. It's a town with a large population whose services haven't grown properly with the demand, so the system is limited in what it can do. The medical professionals around here are mostly a joke as well. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places. I don't know.

Also, I've discovered that part of the problem seems to be that no one seems to know what's going on. It doesn't help that I get tounge tied around other people and can never seem to convey the true severity of the situation to anyone who might be willing to help. (I haven't here either. I didn't feel like bringing up the gory details again.) They usually think I'm being overdramatic or begging for money. The fact is, the situation is far worse than they think and I don't need money. What I need is their time or for someone to take a chance on me so that I can get things stabilized.

Mom puts up a good enough face in public where no one realizes that she's an out of control, bi-polar, narcissist. They know about her other health problems, but the real danger is her unstable mental health and failing mind.

The truth is, it's a rather complicated situation that's been deteriorating for a very long time due to the fact that we were without the skills to properly care for her or to even cope with the situation properly. We've been going through hell for years, since my sister was in middle school at least. (She's a freshman in college now, so that should give you an idea of how long this has been going on.)

Maybe I should post my full story on here. I wrote it up in another forum and I'm thinking it might be good to show to people to give them a real grasp of what it's been like, why the situation is the way it is, and why we need help. It might be good to gauge the reaction here to see what other outside reactions might be like if I show it to people.

Would anyone be interested in reading it? It's kind of uncomfortable for be to bring up something so outside the bounds of what's normally found in these forums, so I don't want to bring it up if it's going to make anyone other than me uncomfortable. You know, common courtesy and all that.

#3 Leon481, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Interested" might not be the right word, but I think it might be a good idea to hear the whole story. Feel free to put a standard disclaimer at the beginning if you think it'll freak some people right out.

Lex

5. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I doubt it would freak anyone out. It's not that interesting. It's just an explanation of seven or eight years of despair, frustration, weakness, and drama. You know, the kind of thing you might see on a daytime talk show.:dry: This kind of thing that tends to make people very uncomfortable in my experience, so I'm very wary of dropping things like this on people without fair warning and making sure it's alright.

I guess it can't hurt. Like I said, I feel like this explains our situation better than I ever could in person, so I may need to show it to people who may be able to help. I guess it would help out to hear people's reactions to it and maybe tell me what I can do to improve it.

Be aware though, it's long. About five pages on standard Microsoft Word font.

I'll put it up in the post following this one.

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2010 at 02:29 PM ----------

Well here it is. Keep in mind I wrote this on a caregiver help forum at 3 in the morning when I was overtired and overemotional. I desperately needed to vent.

6. Eleanor Rigby

Leon,

I read all your posts, and I can't tell you how sorry I am about this situation with your mother.
    I can't imagine what it must be like to be in your position.
    I am not leaving in the US, I don't know how things work there, but in France, I would advise you to turn to the social services. And one way or another, you should try to have your mother diagnosed by a psychiatrist as irresponsible, so that you can take decisions for her at least about money.

I know this is not helping much, but I wanted to let you know that I care about what's going on with you. If you ever need someone to vent to, you're welcome to PM me anytime. I know it's not much, but I always can listen.

Take care and hold on (*hug*) Cécile

7. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There actually is quite a simple solution for her care. There's a nursing home nearby that she stayed in for a while for rehab after her amputation. They did more for her there in a few days than doctors had done for years. It was like they restored her soul. For a couple of weeks we had our Mom back. She became a bright, caring, happy person. She cried, hugged us, and apoligized for all the pain she had caused. After she can home, her change lasted about a week, then suddenly, without warning, she was back to being horrible again.

We've wanted to get her back in ever since. Medicaid will cover it, but they take her social security check to pay for the rest. That's all the money we live on and without it, we'd lose the house and everything in it. I'd be homeless, my sister would be homeless during the school's off season, and we'd lose our cats who have been the only good things in our life for a long time and are too precious to lose.

I may take you up on your offer to talk if I ever get around to applying for full membership.

Actually, this is a big help. Just the fact that an outsider has heard the whole story and has not just dismissed it as my weakness or me being over-dramatic is an amazing confidence booster. Thank you for that.:slight_smile: I got similar responses on the other forum and it's helped me realize something.

Up until now, I've contributed my situation to my own weakness and nothing more. It felt like, if I was stronger, I'd be able to take care of her better and get my life together as well. I guess I thought, she's sick so she deserves help, but I'm not sick, just weak, so I don't deserve help. Like no one would want to help me and that I should find a way to handle it on my own.

The process of writing all this out and hearing such positive responses from several people has made me realize that I've been through a hell of my own and I deserve help to get out of it, like maybe I'm not quite as weak as I thought and I've done well enough coming this far with no help.

I'm starting to get a little more clarity on the situation. If I can explain my situation clearly and prove that I need help, there may actually be things I can do.

The main problem right now is money for a decent place to stay. If I can find that, Mom's care will fall into place as well. If it's just money, there may actually be answers. I need to do some research and I may need help from someone in my community who knows about these matters.

Also, any ideas on how I can make that monster essay any better? It seems like it may become my main platform for getting across our situation to others. I need it to be as clear as possible if I'm going to get any help.

#7 Leon481, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010