1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Do You Know It's Love?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Revan, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my question is because I've heard some people like Lex talk about certain things about their relationships that seem to say they kind of know something special is about the relationship. I'm just wondering to these people, would you say it's definitely love and how long did it take you to realize that was the case?

I ask because I've been dating this guy for a month but I've found it's really like no other relationship I've been in. I mean when I'm with him time stands still. By this I mean that when we're together we can talk for four hours straight (which we have) but it feels like maybe four minutes have passed. To me I have always counted how long I've been with a guy because I'm always getting dumped after a month so I wind up thinking "how long will it last this time?" But with Steve that's not the case, I mean I only just realized when I was talking to my friend that we'd been together for a month but I kept thinking, 'wait, a month's already gone by O_O?' He also will do just sweet little things, like for example when I said I was missing him, he wound up buying me a Build-a-Bear that looks like him (glasses, outfit and all lol) so that way "when you miss me you can hug this bear and it will be like I'm there with you". I also just have found that every thing he'll say just makes me smile, even text messages, and he says the same, that even just texting with me just makes him happy and he loves that I'll text him each day asking how his day is going. He actually said if I ever stopped texting he'd know something was wrong.

But yeah, so I can't help but ask, when do you know it's love, that it's really something special?

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because this is the first month of a relationship and you get dumped within that time usually, this could be you being infatuated because this relationship seems to be going better for you.

It might be love, it might not, but a month is probably too early to really tell. I'd say wait it out a few more months, see if he still makes you feel the same way after you get comfortable with him and if he does, then it's probably love

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend once said "It's love when you don't feel weird using the term anymore. Oh, and when you can fart in front of each other."

That about sums it up.

Lex

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh I know, I wasn't saying I was going to rush into it, I just was curious what you guys thought of the relationship. IF aspects I mentioned have a difference.

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2010 at 03:15 PM ----------

Lex I love you lol.

5. Bryan90

The question should be: "When will humans ever discover what love really is?"

Even with today's science, that is a though question to answer. What kind of love? Love out of attachment to a companion? Obsessive love that doesn't last long? Love driven by lust? Love out of fear of loneliness? Love out of fear in general? Romantic love out of excitement? And feelings and emotions can change like the wind...

Or perhaps, the question we should be asking is: "Who the hell cares! As long as it feels good for now!"

6. x2x2x2x2y2

^Lol nice.

I like to think that it's love when you would be able to let the other person go if they wanted to and be somewhat ok with it, not because you don't care about them, but because you want them to be happy. I think that's the ultimate sign of love, not being selfish and doing what's best for the other person even if it'll hurt you.

But that's just my opinion. lol

7. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Pretty much this. If you can be totally yourself around your partner and not have to worry about being embarrassed, you have something pretty special. It's probably not clear after just a month if that is what you have, but what you describe definitely sounds like it could be the beginning of something good. :slight_smile:

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We've kind of talked about what we're both wanting to do in the future and it's sounding like he's headed to Vancouver, me to Toronto, and we're surprisingly both fine with it. I just want him to do what he wants to do and the same with me. I in the past definitely hate the idea of long distance or anything like that. I know it's only been a month and a bit, but so far so good :slight_smile:

9. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

I saw a picture recently that said this.

'How do you know when your in love?
    When its over!'

Pretty much sums it up.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm cute.