1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm worried :3

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LiamAU, Oct 20, 2010.

1. LiamAU

A quick low-down of my current situation - I'm bi, and only three close friends know. Lately I've been thinking about coming out much more than I usually would (to be honest a few months ago I would never had considered it). Anyway, here's the situation I'm in at the moment:-

Basically, two of my close girl friends are encouraging me to tell my other close friends about my sexuality, and I'm ready and eager to do it, but I'm worried that they'll think differently of me. I know they're not 'real friends' if they don't accept it (well at least I've heard this said many times), but I'm afraid me telling them will ruin our friendship/s.

Besides, the most recent two times I've come out to my close friends was when I was drinking - kinda just blurted it out in desperation of needing someone to talk to :3

Anyway, I'm most worried about my best friend, and what he'll think. I mean, we always hang out and he sleeps over a lot (in the same bed - hey, that's what friends do)! So I'm really paranoid that we won't be as good of friends anymore and we won't hang out as much.

Either way, I'm seeing the perfect opportunity to tell at least one of them tomorrow night, so, yeah - who knows at this point! :x

Apologies for the long post - hopefully it made sense hah!

- Liam x

2. Jay

Jay

Hey Liam!!!

Seems like you want to come out but you're just afraid. That's the one little tiny detail that is stopping you from breaking free, right? Well fear is something that is defeated with courage (and repetitiveness of a situation). You need to be sure that as good reactions, there will be some bad ones, but people will accept in the long run. Don't be discouraged for any WTF moment someone might have, because they might just want to ask some questions because they might be ignorant about what being Bi means.

When you tell them, don't make a big deal, do it extremely casual. "Hey dude, just so you know, i'm bi!" because if you go by saying "Ooooh I have something very important to tell you..." they might blow it out of proportion.

And let us know!! I know it will go great. And who knows, maybe they suspect something and they have bets on whether you're gay or not. And since you're bi they both lose, so you should get to keep the money! :grin:

3. Jim1454

If you think you'd feel better by telling then than by not telling them, then you're ready. Living life involves taking risks. I would think that your best friend will be cool with it. Even if the sleep overs stop. (And shouldn't they soon anyway? I mean - you're 18. Couldn't he sleep on your couch if he needs to crash at your place?)

4. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

jede covered most of it.

Most people (as you could probably gather from reading most of the coming out stories on here) are worried about getting bad reactions, but it turns out they were worried for nothing.

One thing to keep in mind, initially for anyone it will be a shock. You've had a while to come to terms with your sexualiity, so it might take them a while aswell.

I was in the same position, and didn't tell anyone (besides parents) until i was 24. None of my close friends think any differently of me (and i only had one bad reaction, but he wasn't really a close friend) and its very liberating having your friends invite you and your bf over and everything is normal as if you were with a girl (although you being bi, you get to choose bf or gf :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

Your generation, and living in Australia, i doubt you'll have any problems with your friends (I know a fair few people your age in QLD, and they all seem pretty accepting, and i only know them from online)