1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What...the...bleep?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sesshomaru, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Sesshomaru

Recently I'm starting to really wonder if my mom is finally pushing through the denial phase and accepting the reality that I'm gay and she can't change me. About an hour ago I came in from school and her bf noticed on the news about the national (and international from what he repeated) wearing purple today. This morning I told them I needed some money to buy a shirt for purple day today but I only told them it was about bullying, I'm still sort of hesitant to say the word gay around them in case it leads to a relapse of two years ago. She then told me she's been hearing about the fight to end anti-gay bullying all day on the news and about purple being the color to wear today.

This later picked up somewhat in the living room (thought not related directly to the recognition for today). She brought up me telling her about a little school event/small dance we're having tomorrow and the girl who's asking me to go with her as friends. That led to her remembering how I told her that yesterday I told the girl that I'm transferring schools again in November and about how she broke down crying afterward. She like, "Omg you two are like totally bffs! I love my new little daughter." This is what shocked me to nearly saying out loud "Who are you and where's my real mom?" I've noticed how she sees me with this girl every day, but she hasn't done her usual pestering about "When are you going to ask her out?" "Do you have a crush on her?" "Ahaha you have a little girlfriend now?" In fact, she has yet to mention me liking/dating/doing anything with a girl pretty much since the start of summer (well except when she's drunk x.x).

Could this mean she's finally facing the fact that I am gay? I've expected her to maybe say something to me along the lines of she's okay with it, but maybe this is her way of doing it.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think she's trying to hint that she's ok... though she may still be struggling with it on a conscious level it seems she's trying to send you messages that she is supportive.

Proceed slowly and cautiously... you're both doing a dance of subtlety and I think it will work itself out if you both give it a little more time :slight_smile:

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oddly, I think you hanging out with this girl is helping. Parents can imagine some rather far-out scenarios for their children when they find out they're gay. They suddenly picture their daughter shaving her head and moving to Oregon to become a lumberjack, or their son coming home in bondage gear at the end of a leash held by a guy he calls "Sir". But you're showing her that there's really nothing to fear along those lines. You're showing her that you don't think girls are "icky", and in fact, gay guys often have really great (platonic) relationships with women. And I'm betting that's making her feel better about the whole thing. :slight_smile:

Lex