1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need some help....for a friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DarkHyde, Oct 20, 2010.

1. DarkHyde

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I got this friend he just came out to his parents....
    well its not goin so well...
    and he doesn't know what to really say now
    Can someone tell me something to say to him
    that he can tell his parents so its not so odd?

we have tried the "Can we see past invisible elephant and look at the future, I know what i am and its who i am it doesn't change that i'm still myself" & "I jsut know cause, its the same of you you know you like mom/dad"

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he *just* came out, it will probably just take time. If his parents didn't suspect at all, they are likely a bit shocked and trying to digest and come to terms with it. Remember, he's been dealing with this his whole life... they just started.

Often it takes a few weeks or even couple of months (more if they are uber conservative or religious) but... they'll come around. Just be patient and gentle and try to be understanding of what their process is like :slight_smile:

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As Chip mentioned, sometimes it can take a while for parents to come around and to be fully accepting and supportive. It is okay to give parents a bit of a breathing room (so to speak) too. Yes, he should be himself around his parents (as it will help his parents to see that nothing has changed) but maybe shift away a bit from the discussion and allow his parents to come to him when they are ready.

He could even tell them that he is ready to talk with them whenever they want or feel ready to talk with him about it. Maybe that would help a bit with the awkwardness.

4. Eleanor Rigby