1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Other) social networking sites

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by subaru000, Oct 21, 2010.

1. subaru000

What are your thoughts on some of the other social networking sites out there? I'm deciding whether or not I should delete a profile on a particular site because I'm not feeling the vibe on it. (Not here, I love it here). Just wanting a general consensus on what people think and if you all have made actual friends on them (or ones that are like real life friends) [I didn't mean for that to sound degrading in any way] to get a better idea of what to do.

2. ArcaneVerse

If you don't exactly like the vibe of a place then its not going to be an environment you thrive in socially, well that's my opinion anyways.

I had been to many different, over 6, forums\sites that where for GLBT youth before I came here and was finally happy. I didn't like the vibe I got from all the other sites, there was only one exception and it closed. I didn't and couldn't fit in with the people on those websites because I just didn't feel it, I tried but ultimately I had to move on.

You cant fit in everywhere, you cant like everyone and not everyone will like you but eventually you will find a place you enjoying visiting, with people you click with (Hopefully that is here =P) and then all the other places wont matter so much.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    EC tends to have a more insular community than nearly all other online communities, and one that's more focused on support and community. I think that's a byproduct of both the restrictions here and on the self-moderation on the part of the community members.

For me it makes the community a much more enjoyable place than pretty much any other social network focused on gays and lesbians. Nearly every other one I've seen tends to devolve into a hookup site, and, except for EC, I haven't found one that isn't overrun with creepers going after the younger members.

It's always interesting to know if there are other good ones similar to EC. Of course, you can't mention anything that references your profile at the other community (and you shouldn't be using the same username here as you use anywhere else) but if anyone has any suggestions, it would be interested to know about them.