1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I may rant for a moment...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MoiMoi, Oct 29, 2010.

1. MoiMoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm kind of in a bad mood at the moment, and I'd like to vent my frustration. I'm 30, it was a few months before I turned 30 that I finally started putting things together and realized that the reason I've never had crushes on guys isn't because I'm really picky and that if I just wait patiently God will send the right guy, it's that there's never going to be a "right guy" because I'm attracted to women. And yeah, I know all that about how some people take longer than others to figure out their sexuality, but I grew up in a world that was so anti-gay that it almost feels like my brain had to throw out several decades of baggage before it would even allow itself to consider the possibility of recognizing where my attraction actually lies and to pick up on what should have been obvious clues over the years. I'm just frustrated because I thought I had my life all planned out and this isn't the kind of monkey wrench that's supposed to get thrown into your plans at my age. :bang:

It's weird too, because my parents have always been far more egalitarian and progressive than many if not most of the people in the religious-right, ultra conservative, home schooling world that they chose to be a part of, to the point that they couldn't possibly imagine that the people around them were actually as backwards as they really were--it took me years of arguing the point with my mom before she conceded that I was right about how extreme a lot of these people really were and hadn't been blowing anything out of proportion. So, on one hand I grew up in this family that was telling me I could be anything I want to be, that there was no rush to get married and I could focus on career, where my mom bought my brothers Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls to go along with their trucks, my sister and I played with trucks as well as dolls, and nobody ever acted like it was odd that when my little brother would play with my cousin that was the same age, their playing with Barbies didn't stop with bowling with her Ken doll's head (which they both thought up and found hilarious), but actually playing Barbie stuff. On the other hand, I was part of this conservative right-wing activist world where pretty much everybody my family knew was somehow involved with the Christian Coalition, the American Family Association, or Operation Rescue (in retrospect, that "racist, sexist, anti-gay, born again bigots, go away" chant was a pretty accurate description of many of those folks), where my parents were on a first name basis or acquainted with a number of the era's big names in movement conservatism. It suffices to say that it wasn't until I was out of high school and went to work in department store retail to make money for college that I'd ever actually associated with any gay people as actual human beings and not ridiculous stereotypes.

Oh yeah, and add to that mix the fact that the whole "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" thing became a fad while I was in high school and college, where the message was sent that the spiritual thing to do is to wait patiently for the right guy and that you're supposed to "guard your heart" and getting crushes are silly and less-than-spiritual. So basically, I grew up in an environment where almost everybody I knew outside my family was really anti-gay, combined with parents who weren't the sort to fret that failure to conform to gender stereotypes was a sign that their kid might be gay and in need of fixing (thus, nobody planted the idea in my head by fretting over me smashing toy cars into things), and on top of that, instead of suspecting that not getting crushes on guys was abnormal, it meant I was super-spiritual and doing a great job at the whole "courtship/not dating" thing.

Anyway, that's my rant. I guess the thing that gets me the most is that all of those anti-gay activist types that I was around never stopped to consider that some of the kids who might be hearing those diatribes would grow up to be gay, and that no matter how much they may believe it's all bunk, those words are still in the back of their minds. And the thing that bothers me the most with the prospect of coming out isn't telling my family, it'll probably come as a shock but I'm sure they'll adjust (and my brother was in the wedding party for a same sex wedding, so I know if nothing else he'll serve as a voice of reason), it's that I know that all of these people from my childhood are going to talk and they're going to pity my parents. I don't care what those people think of me, they're horrible, small minded people, it's that if there's one thing I hate, it's pity because along with pity comes a feeling of superiority for oneself. I hate the idea that these horrible, small minded people with kids who have amounted to jack squat, after years of looking up to my parents for advice on things and putting my siblings and me on a pedestal as the model children who their children should aspire to be like, will suddenly decide my parents are worthy of pity because their highly educated daughter likes girls.

/End rant

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww well first I think you need some hugs (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*). There is no point in me saying dont worry everything will work out and be completely rosey because you know that isnt true, but what I can tell you is that many people have been in the situation you now find yourself in, and they have come through it and are much happier and better off for it, there are people here on EC that will relate directly to where you are and how you feel. So one thing I can promise is that it will get better.

Stick around EC chat to some people and find out about other peoples experiences and im sure it will make you feel better. Everyone here at EC is here to support you.
    If you can only do one thing for the moment make sure that is not to be hard on yourself because you have only just figured it out, but be proud and happy with yourself for making the biggest and sometimes hardest step of realising and admitting to yourself that you find girls attractive.

Take care.

3. adam88

(*hug*) I know where you're coming from. I lived in the mid-suburbs in a rather ghetto (low-income, large immigrant population) area until pretty much three years ago, and while not actively anti-gay it was certainly not gay-supportive in any way, shape or form. You had to go downtown to meet any sort of people who don't all fit the same obnoxious mold - incidentally, downtown is where I now live. :slight_smile:

In any case, when I started coming to terms with my bisexuality a year ago, I felt the same as you do. "Gay" was not something I was supposed to look at, examine too closely or support, unless it was to denigrate it or use it as an insult. I got nervous around people who were openly gay. So, yeah, it took me a lot of work.

Do you have any gay friends to talk to? I found that simply having friends of alternate sexual/gender identities helped open my own mind quite a bit, made it much easier. :slight_smile:

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got a bit of a late start to "the whole gay thing", too. Not due to homophobia, but more due to just being utterly clueless.

As far as "what the small-minded people think"...um, they're small-minded people. Their opinion doesn't matter. At all. If they want to think less of you or less of your parents, they can have fun with that. You've got a life to live, damnit, and why spend any of it worrying what some podunk people think of you? I'm sure there's some people somewhere in my past who think less of me now, but I can't even think of who they might be, because I'm heading forward.

So that's my only generic advice (even though you didn't ask for any). Keep your head facing forwards, because that's where all the good stuff is gonna be. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. MoiMoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

I guess what's getting to me at the moment is that I usually don't care what people think. One thing that I wouldn't change about my background is that activism, even if you no longer agree with the issues in question, tends to cause you to develop an activist mindset in your overall approach to life. So one side of me can say that I really, honestly don't care about what other people think, and that the only way to get full and equal rights is to be out there demanding them and forcing people to accept your existence.

The other side of me is still the teenager who was placed on a pedestal by other people as an example of the model homeschooler (it's just lovely when you know that people are telling their children to be like you), who hated it but at the same time couldn't figure out a way to rebel against it without falling into another cliché. I don't want to make myself sound like a basket case who's dealing with all sorts of unresolved childhood issues because I'm not, it's kind of strange for me because in going off to college and doing my own thing, living my life, traveling all over the world doing amazing things, that got filed away in the category of "things my teenage self worried about that adult me doesn't care about".

In a lot of ways, I don't understand why the whole thing is even bothering me so much. I don't believe it's a sin, I've supported gay rights, I can rattle off all sorts of feminist theory and talk about how we live in a heteronormative society and how "different" does not equal "defective", all that jazz, and yet despite all I know intellectually, it still bothers me and I know I need to move past that in order to move forward.