1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom confuses the hell out of me. (Coming out...stuff)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Oct 29, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

So as some of you may or may not know, I came out to my mom as trans a few months ago (yay!). At the time of the initial coming out she seemed to be in shock, but also accepting, and full to the brin with questions.

The questions continued for a few weeks in a nonstop overwhelming kind of way. I know she meant well, but I still felt kind of consumed by her desire to understand what I was going through. She proceeded to ask the question "but what if you do _insert FTM hormone and surgical treatments here_ and you change your mind, can you switch back?" I gave her answers to this as best I could, but over the following days she repeated the question in different forms, and denied that she had already asked me if I pointed it out.

So because she asked me the same question so many times in such a short span of days I began to doubt myself, and get depressed all over again. My anxiety was through the roof, and now my doctor has me on a mild (VERY mild) dose of ativan for when i need it.

I eventually told my mom that "I wasn't sure anymore." she seemed over-the-top releived, and that in itself unsettled me, because I was sure, I just hated putting her through all this. This is a very tough, takes a lot to make her cry kind of woman, and i'd seen her cry more often than I had in a very long time all because of me :frowning2:

It killed me, which led to me daying I wasn't sure anymore.

The problem I'm having now is I think she's afraid to face it. I understand if she's in denial, but I don't know how to help her through it. Now, if the word "transgender" is uttered around her, she changes the subject very quickly, or completely ignores that I said anything, and if she does she barely reacts.

Should I do anything, or leave her be?

2. Blondie

Blondie Guest

3. Eleanor Rigby

Hi (*hug*),

I'm sorry that the way your mom is behaving is causing you so much anxiety. Maybe the two of you should take an appointment with a counselor. That may help both of you on communicating about you being transgender.
    I don't know if I have already give you that link to this PFLAG booklet. Maybe it can help your mother too.
    http://community.pflag.org/Document.Doc?id=202
    Take care, Cécile

4. divainite

Hi!
    While I think it's unfair for your mom to give you such a hard time, I can see where she's coming from. Perhaps she thinks it's "her fault" in some way. Obviously, it's nobody's "fault", it's just the way you are, and maybe you should try to talk to her about it, ease her mind, and you will both gain from that.
    Good luck, and don't worry, it'll be alright :slight_smile: