1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad anniversary (a rant)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mogget, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Mogget

So, it's been roughly a year since I started dating my ex, roughly a year since he dumped me (it was a short relationship). And I'm feeling intensely sad about it all. It felt like the most wonderful thing that had ever happened when he said he liked me; when he broke up with me it completely destroyed me.

And now, a year later, I can't think of any way I could have possibly prevented it. Everything seemed to be going so well, he was someone I knew and trusted--someone my friends knew and trusted, he seemed to really like me, and I have no idea why he dumped me. I'm still hurt and confused by it all, and don't feel like I have any defenses against the same thing happening to me again. Hell, I might even fall for him again if I don't continue to avoid him.

And that's another thing. Avoiding him has destroyed any possibility of my entering the gay scene here. I can't go to the gay bar (I don't have transport), he's the head of my school's gay club, and he's heavily involved in the town's gay outreach society. I want to be out there, able to meet people, but instead I'm stuck indoors sitting on my ass while he's out there having a great time. I also had to pass up a great opportunity to do field work because I would've had to be in a tiny group with him for a month and I was worried it might suicidally trigger me.

I have healed somewhat since the breakup, but there's still a lot of hurt (and a ton of confusion) there. And I don't really see any hope for being able to fully live as long as he's anywhere near me. And maybe not even once he's not.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, hugs all around.(*hug*) Secondly, I'd say a bit of a rethink is in order.

>>>I can't think of any way I could have possibly prevented it.

Exactly so. You couldn't have prevented it. Relationships aren't will-to-power. It requires two people who want to continue forward in them. And if one of them wants to end it, the relationship ends. It doesn't matter if the other person did something "wrong" or not. Maybe he wasn't "feeling it". Maybe he decided he wanted to play the field more. Maybe he was just an asshole. But the end result was - he didn't want it to continue, so it didn't. You presumably didn't do anything "wrong" to cause that. (I'm pretty sure you would've focused in on it by now if you did.)

>>>I'm still hurt and confused by it all, and don't feel like I have any defenses against the same thing happening to me again.

This is precisely what relationships are all about. Once you get involved, the guard goes down, and you show somebody your soft, quivering, gelatinous underbelly. (I know - such a romantic image.) And there's no real guarantee that guy won't shove a knife into it. You might try to "take things slow", but relationships come with the risk of true heartbreak and pain.

But there's a flipside. The one where you show him your underbelly...and he accepts it. In short, he accepts you for you. And that's what makes the relationship so wonderful when it DOES work. It's what gave you that great feeling when he said he liked you...and why it hurt so much when he decided to end it.

So what do you do with this information? Do you think you could get yourself back out there? If not, you might need to see somebody to help get your emotions back in line. This guy shouldn't be ruling your life a year after breaking up with you.

Lex

3. Dare2bProud

I was in the same situation when I was your age and in college. I feel in love with my best friend who didn't reciprocate. I looked up to him and really got into my head. When he started ignoring me, I lost it, I quit my resident assistant job and I almost quit the theatre department because of him, however, a professor of mine in the theatre department became my mentor. She pulled me through. Sometimes we would meet on the stairwell or in the hallway however I just passed him on by and it hurt, ruined my whole day. I kept rebuilding my strength and power to get over him. When we graduated I went up to him and said, "Congratulations, I wish you the best in life." and walked away and haven't heard from him since. It consumed my entire college career, but I learned a lot about myself during it and learned how to cope when I was in a similar situation a year ago! Just get out there, live your life and the more you face him the stronger you become!

4. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Clearly we're both in similar situations, though my ex doesnt prevent me from living my life at least.

It sound's pretty shitty and I'm so sorry for you!

You seem to be pretty trapped by him. You can either talk to him about the situation and work out your differences, agree to get along and be civil and then maybe you can start enjoying eachother's company again, or you can move. I'm guessing you don't want to uproot your whole life because this guy lives in the same area as you.

You say you're scared to see him because you're afraid you'll fall for him again and end up hurt all over again. To be honest, it would probably be best if you tried to talk to him. You shouldn't have to live this way, but he also shouldn't be expected to change his life either. People are reasonable, so just talk with him. I'm sure he isn't trying to make you feel bad or like you cant do things, so just talk to him about it.

I recently sent a message to my ex with just some final words for him, incase we didn't talk anymore, just saying all the good things that I thought came from my relationship from him and that I wanted to be as good friends as possible, or at least as civil as possible. Forget the bad times and remember the good, life gets better when you do.

5. Mogget

I'd talk to him but a) I have no idea what to say and b) his behavior the last time I tried to talk to him was...this. I don't really think there's anything he could say that would make things better, even if I trusted him to actually be willing to talk. And I'd probably break down crying if I tried.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Liam! (*hug*)

As Lex mentioned, don't allow him to rule your life or have such an influence on it where you feel you can't do anything anymore, or feel trapped.

If you feel that there is nothing he can say to make things better or give you sense of 'closure' why would you want to talk with him? If you feel that it could leave you feeling (even more) emotionally hurt, why would you want to talk to him?

Sometimes, it is better just to move on and say, "the relationship is over, I am better off without him in my life, and I need to start turning the page."

Liam, you are a strong person and you have gone through a lot already. Try to do the things that you enjoy and know you need to do. Try to concentrate on those. (*hug*)

7. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or why don't you just send him a message on FB. You dont need to talk to him in real time. Plus if you send him a message, he can look at it, think about it, and respond during his own time. I doubt he ignores that, but if he does, well at least you've said what you want and nothing's gonna make him pay more attention than he already is so you just have to try and ignore him, just pretend you never dated him when you're around him.

8. Jim1454

You're letting him have WAY too much control over you a year after he dumped you. It's time to take your life back!

Go to a gay function at school! Right now, you feel like a victim, and I'm assuming you'd feel very self conscious being there when he's there. But do you know how many other people are gonig to be seeing you as a victim at that meeting? Zero.

You're a victim only in your own mind and in how you're interpreting the events of one year ago. You need to change your perception of how things have gone, and how this affects you. Instead of looking at this as "having had your heart shattered by the only person who you have loved, and will likely ever love again" (which is sort of how you sound), look at it like you've "had a short relationship that didn't work out but allowed you to learn a lot about you and about other people in general."

And move on.

Not every relationship will be like that, unless you set them up in your mind that way.

Take your life back! Go to events. Go to parties. Hang out with friends. Say hi to your ex, with NO EXPECTATIONS of him talking to you at any great length, or perhaps of even saying hi back. Maybe the guy is a total jerk - they do say love is blind. Go about your business without any expectations of him explaining how things went wrong. If after a year you still haven't been able to figure it out, then it must have been him. Either way, it really doesn't matter what went wrong. It's over now and always will be.

The real tragedy here is that a year later, you're still feeling miserable. You're working with a therapist, which is good. But it sounds like you're really going to have to take a deep breath and start to do some things that you dread doing. An expression I've learned in addiction recovery is this: The things we want to do the least are likely the things we need to do the most.

Get out there and do them. You'll feel better for having done it. I promise.

9. Mogget

Jim:

I suspect you're right. But I'm really afraid. I'm afraid I'll go to a party, discover he's there, and be trapped with no way to leave. I don't have transportation, so I usually have to hitch rides from people who're also going, and often the person I can most easily hitch a ride from is the host.

But I'm also afraid that I'll just break down sobbing in front of everyone, or have a screaming fit at my ex (depending on my mood), or at the very least end up in a corner on my own, resenting how everyone else is able to have fun.

I don't believe I'm capable of enjoying myself while he's anywhere around, and I don't want to run an experiment and discover that I'm right.

tl;dr: I want to follow your advice, but I'm too much of a coward.

10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Liam. (*hug*) If you go to a party or to the gay group, and see him, so what? As Jim mentioned, if you go in without any expectations of him talking to you, the chances are that you might start enjoying yourself at the party. If he says hi, say hi back and just keep walking and say 'hi' to the others and start talking with the others. Arrange for a ride home as you usually would do.

By saying that, you already allow him to control your life. Yes, you are capable of enjoying yourself, even if he is in the next room. Yes, when you see him it might be awkward, but also remind yourself you are there to enjoy yourself and to talk to the others.

By going, and by being out and about with your friends, and by trying to have fun, you start putting an end to him having a control over your life. You need to start controlling your life again.

Should you by chance start becoming emotional, or feel needing to shed a few tears, go to the bathroom, do what you need to do, and then tell yourself: "I HAVE TO GO BACK OUT THERE, AND TRY TO ENJOY MYSELF, I DON'T WANT HIM TO RUN MY LIFE". And that is also something you should perhaps tell yourself everyday.

Liam, you are not a coward at all. We all cope and try to deal with breakups differently. Maybe you don't need anymore contact with him. Not through a phone call, a text, a meet-up or an e-mail.

There are times, when it is best just to have a clean break, without any further explanation and saying to oneself: "it is enough. I have to move on from this."

Liam, as I have said before, you are a strong person. Don't allow him to control your life. Try not to think about what happened either. Try to leave it behind you. If you have to, remind yourself everyday that you have start turning the page. (*hug*)

11. Jim1454

I think you need to confront this demon and get it over with. You've built this up in your mind into such a HUGE thing that you can't function. And the reality is that this situation is NOT as big as you have made it out to be.

Sure - it will be awkward. But only if you let it. It won't be awkward for anyone else - so why should it be awkward for you? You're going to be (potentially!) in a room or at a party with your ex boyfriend. He didn't beat you or abuse you in any way. He simply ended the relationship and didn't provide an explanation. The fact that he can't or won't provide an explanation is out of your control - so let go of the idea that you deserve one or will ever get one. It is out of your control so accept it as it is.

I'd say the sooner you actually go up to him at this party and say hello, the better. Picture yourself doing it. NOT in a dramatic way. NOT with any kind of emotional charge. NOT with any expectations of him even saying hi back - even though that would be extremely rude. (But the reality is there are rude people around.) And then simply turn and walk away. Grab a drink. Have a pretzel. Talk to someone you DO want to talk to.

I obviously don't know your whole story - but being that emotional over someone you dated briefly over a year ago doesn't sound healthy to me. There has to be something that you can be doing to help you move on at a better pace than this. Life is full of disappointments, but if we dwell on each of those disappointments for over a year, limiting our interactions with other people, you're going to be missing out on lifes joys in a really big way. And that is such a shame.

12. Mogget

I know you're right, but it doesn't help. I'm overwhelmed with fear at the very idea. I don't want to be trapped at a party, unable to leave, unable to function ever again. That's what happened the last time I was at a party and he was there. I couldn't stand watching him and his boyfriend, so I snuck into a back room and stayed there all night till he left. I have no confidence that the same thing wouldn't happen again. Or worse, that I'd burst into tears in front of everyone.

13. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Liam,

Just a thought but I think it would be good if you start working on that 'idea' all by itself. Before you go to a party or the LGBT club of which he is the president, get yourself ready for a) going in and b) meeting him and saying hi.

Start working on it by standing in front of the mirror and looking at yourself. Start saying out loud (so that you can hear yourself loud and clear):

"I had enough. I want to enjoy my life again. The breakup happened a year ago, it isn't a huge thing anymore. I want to feel differently about. This is what I need to do. I need to go and spend time with my friends. I want to be there. I want to have fun and I want to meet new people. If I see him, all I will do is just say 'hi' and keep walking past him. I will not stop. If he asks me how I am doing, I will just say, 'I'm doing good' but keep walking and concentrate on the other people that are in the room. I don't need to pay any attention to him."

When you are in front of the mirror, and you try saying that and become (by chance) emotional, that's okay. Let it out, and then after that go back to the mirror, observe yourself and start saying it all over again.

As Jim mentioned above, yes it might be awkward at first and you might feel a bit uncomfortable, but as you keep concentrating on the others in the room and try to talk with others, you don't allow your mind to concentrate on what happened. Once you start approaching it differently, you will also find that your emotions won't come bursting out.

Liam, you can do this. It will require work, but give it a try. Trying is already half the battle in moving on from all of this. (*hug*)

14. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that what might help in this situation is involving your friends or close acquaintances at the party. Let them know that you're still feeling traumatised about the whole thing (if they don't already know) and that you'll need their support to make it through. That you'll need some distracting conversation if he's present. That you'll want to spend most of the evening with your back turned to him.
    And that you might go teary-eyed or react badly at first. Basically, tell them what you just told us and ask them to be your chaperone, if just for once.
    It might sure be terrifying to do this alone, but really, you don't have to do this all by yourself! Friends are there not just to have fun with, but support you in bad times as well.
    Also, don't feel forced to say anything to him. Sure, you dated once, but that doesn't mean you have to even acknowledge he's there.

Yes, it might mean that the first party isn't going to be all that fun. But once you notice that you manage to survive despite him being in a radius of 100 yards, it gets easier and easier over time.

Also, don't sell yourself short here. I've read no small amount of your other posts on here, and I always come away with the impression that (apart from this topic), you're a nice, considerate, caring guy who knows what he's doing. So there's no reason why you can't be like that even in tough situations like these!

15. Jim1454

Who said you that you have to do this at a party? You don't. I'd recommend you NOT do this at a party. But it does have to happen. It HAS TO HAPPEN. You need to confront this fear you have - and keep confronting it until it isn't a fear any more. Until you've proven to yourself that you can cope with life.

What does your therapist recommend you do? What does he have you doing to overcome this? Surely they don't condone you sitting at home alone avoiding life because you might run into your old boyfriend...