1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car crash aftermath assistance

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Walolas, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Walolas

Last night I was in a car accident. First off all people involved are ok just a fair bit of automobile damage. I am just making this thread to list off what I've done so far for it an to get any tips on how to contour going about this. I won't get into detail of what happened but I will say I was smacked in the rear which in Massachusetts makes me not at fault.

As soon as it happened me and the other driver drove into a nearby parking lot, exchanged licenses and photographed eachother's registration. I took a picked of the damage to my car but I didn't get a shot o his damage. I then decor my car the 1 mile back to my apartment complex and havnt touched it since. Once I got home that night after the agly meeting I go to Monday nights I did a very rough scetch of the intersection as it was at the time of the accident. I am going to the police station after work today (I am typing his on my brake on my iPhone) to file an accident report. I am also going to be calling my insurance company and his. I think that's about it.

Can anyone think of anything I have missed?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry you're having to deal with this. There's no question that the other driver is at fault; rear-end collisions are nearly always the fault of the rear driver.

The standard when being in an accident *used* to be to call the police and have them come to the scene to make a report; this was necessary for the two insurance companies to have a third party to neutrally describe what happened. But I get the impression this is no longer common as police in many areas (including mine) won't respond unless there are serious injuries.

Massachusetts is, I think, a no-fault state, which, if I'm right, means that your insurance company will pay for the damages to your car, and his for his car. Depending on how fast he was going when he hit you, you will probably feel stiff or sore for a few days. You might want to go to an urgent visit clinic and get checked to make sure nothing serious is wrong (insurance should pay for this.) If you miss work as a result, insurance should pay for that as well, and you should receive some compensation over and above your expenses and lost wages for "pain and suffering."

Fortunately, it doesn't sound as though it was too bad. It sounds like you've got about everything handled.