1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSA Ideas.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by D_Alejandro, Nov 2, 2010.

1. D_Alejandro

First, I hope this is the right section to post this in. Otherwise, feel free to move it!

Ok, so I volunteer at a High School for a project in my sociology class. The school happens to have a GSA which is going rather well. After Ally week, we don't really have any solid ideas on what types of activities and discussions we can carry out. So can you guys please help me? I'd like to know what ideas you have in mind that would make this GSA more efficient. Any tips? Thanks in advance!!

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Do you guys have any social activities planned? If not, maybe try setting up weekly or bi-weekly social get together at a local coffee shop. You could also have some movie nights or board game nights, etc....

Another thing you could do is have regular discussion group going where you can talk about different LGBT issues, and share coming out stories and/or experiences. You could also invite speakers from the community to give a talk or attend one of your discussion groups.

Hope this helps a bit!

3. D_Alejandro

I can't believe just one person replied. This is why I don't visit the forums anymore.

In any case, THANK you for replying Mirko. Yes, I will introduce all those ideas. Movie niht sounds excellent and I really like the idea of having a guest speaker! Thank you for taking time to respond and I will pass your ideas along to the club organizer.

Have a great week! :slight_smile:

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Geez, dude. You gave this thread like one day and you are already going nuts >.>

Either way, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm leading our campus GSA and I have ZERO leading experience or experience with a GSA. We have simply been focusing on meetings. We have 3 committees; support, social and advocacy. Each committee is in charge of coming up with activites or discussion to promote whatever. That way it is all balanced, kinda.

Right now we are doing our first social which is going to Rocky horror picture show, which, as I understand, is extremely popular withing the LGBt communtiy. After that we are going to have a movie night combined with the Christianity club and showing a documentary about dealing with faith and coming out. Also, we are going to start volunteering with HRC and our local LGBT center.

There is also the No-Name calling day which we aren't doing but its a good idea for high school.

That's all I can give you from the top of my head. You guys could also focus on LGBT icons from the past that not many people know about.

I know this post is all over the place. I have no idea what happened to my brain today. Oh well :grin:

---------- Post added 3rd Nov 2010 at 10:02 PM ----------

Oh and GLSEN has a really good ideas and advice for people starting GSA's. Make sure they register their GSA so you can get free resources for events like Ally Week.

5. Beachboi92

if you guys give me some time i will get my High Schools GSA plans we have stuff planned like crazy for the entire year i'll post it soon as i can get it.

6. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What is a GSA?

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    GSA stands for Gay Straight Alliance are clubs bringing together LGBT students in high schools and/or universities. GSA are run by students. It provides LGBT students with support and a safe space.

8. peaceandlies

Elaborating on the historical figure thing, thats a very good thing.

In england the used a program and it eliminated homophobic bullying in the school.

They taught all the students about tonnes of historic figures, including this guy from WW2 who cracked a very important code to do with winning the war. He was also gay. in the fifties, he got told he could either go to prison or accept hormone supressant therapy ect. you could do something similar

9. pkj10

I joined the GSA at my community college this semester and it was amazing. a great idea you guys should look in on is doing a drag show. we held one and i took lots of videos and pictures. we raised 255 in two short hours and we donated the money to Matthew 25. The community stood with us and gave us a lot of support. Its a great way to spread the word that being gay is ok and we were able to convince a few people to join the GSa next semester.