1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating an older person...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dudethere, Nov 3, 2010.

1. dudethere

Hey everyone ! :slight_smile:

Alright well lets start with me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I'm 15 (grade 10) and a Canadian and am out out out of the closet !

Ok so my situation, I met a guy who goes to my school and we seem so compatible, we agree on the things couples should agree on. We are able to disagree on the things we can have our opinions on. He is smart, nice, mature and respectful. We have our first date on Friday but i just have one concern.

He is turning 18 soon and I'm just not sure what the general opinion is on dating someone who is almost 3 years older than you are. By general I mean you guys, the public and also my mother.

I know she has no problem with me dating in fact she highly encourages it, I'm just not sure what she would think about an 18 year old. Please give me any feedback and I will do my best to respond as well. Thank you.

2. x2x2x2x2y2

Your mom my be a bit "iffy" about it. I can't really assume what she'd say because I don't know her. lol

As for the public, well screw them. Do what makes you happy.

The only thing I'll say about dating someone that's over 18 is just to be careful, because he could go to jail if you guys have sex and somehow it gets out. And you won't be paying for it, he will.

3. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

This. 3 Year age gap is nothing really. But age of consent laws is where you'll run into trouble (thats not to say you guys will have sex, you could have date have have no sex at all, its not a requirement...)

4. RaRa

If he goes to your school that means he's a senior?

I've seen far worse than a sophmore and senior dating. I say if the chemistry is there and you guys dig each other, go for it.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    3 years is a pretty big gap at your age, but a lot depends on your maturity level and his.

I think if I was your mom, I'd be concerned too. So much depends on what sort of person he is. If he's responsible and encourages healthy behaviors, respects your boundaries and doesn't try to encourage you to do things you aren't comfortable with (or expose you to stuff that isn't healthy) then he could be a very positive influence on your life and help you. If he's a party boy who doesn't take school seriously and wants in your pants... he's probably not a good influence and probably wouldn't be so great to hang around.

If you have good friends that you trust, seek out their opinions. And have a heart-to-heart with your mom about it. This is probably one of those things where making the decision based on your own thoughts as well as those of your mom and friends will yield the best results.

6. Gaspard

I agree with Chip, but if he's a decent guy and you two are happy then BE HAPPY.

7. Ishmael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I honestly don't see the big deal. If he were dramatically older, maybe it'd be different, but you guys still are in the same age range (effectively). I mean, it's not like he's 25 or something dramatically out of your age range. You go to the same school!

I'm 20, and my boyfriend is 17. That means I'm a Junior in college, he's a Senior in High School. For some couples, that's too much, but for us it works. It's all about where you both are in your lives, and your relative levels of maturity. I believe the XKCD rule applies here: divide your age in half and add 7. That's the limits of creepiness, fairly accurately summarized.

Of course, if he's 18...well, presumably he's applying to college and the like, so I hope you're prepared for the stress there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. My boyfriend has like, sequestered himself for this entire month.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I have to agree with Chip.

Also, if he turns 18 soon and your are still 15, you might want to take it really slow. The age of consent in Canada is 16, which means that if it comes out that the two of you have sex, he could get into legal trouble.