1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Health Care?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fargo, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Anyone in Canada know how to find out the status of their health care? Before I turned 19 I got a letter from the ministry asking me to state my income. So I did that, however I have no idea if I'm covered or not, and if my current problem doesn't fix itself, i may need to actually go see a doctor lol.

Thanks

2. adam88

Do you have a health card from your province? The way that it works in Ontario is that the vast majority of health issues are covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan), from physicals and checkups to blood work and most surgery. You might want to check out the BC Ministry of Health's website to see if it's got any relevant info.

3. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Well everyone has a carecard from birth here or w/e but I dunno if I actually have medical or not.

4. Blondie

Blondie Guest

Is there a number that you can call? if you have a card it should show some way of contacting them

5. Fargo

Fargo Guest

lol just an address, guess I'll see if I can find a website

6. Fargo

Fargo Guest

They make this so difficult -_- I can't find any phone numbers or emails for MSP. Fail. Oh well, I'll just hope that my hand heals on its own. If not, I can always chop it off on my own xD lol

7. Fintan

All Canadian Citizens have Health Care Coverage (Medical Care) provided by their province. All doctor visits are free as well as all medically necessary procedures (basically everything except elected surgeries, aka plastic surgery etc). In many Canadian provinces there is also a prescription drug plan which lowers the cost you have to pay for prescriptions (BC has this).

Health Care is provided by the provincial taxes that you pay and partly subsidised through Health Care transfers from Ottawa, this amount is higher for poor provinces and lower for rich provinces according to the Equalisation Plan.

British Columbia's Health Care plan uses the 'Care Card' you can see details here:
    http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/carecard.html

Hope this helps, and GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR -- after all its free!

8. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. Asking for your income may just be for tax purposes or something, I don't know how that works in B.C., but it should be irrelevant to having the insurance, you don't just lose it at 19 for any reason. All Canadians can get it, unless you've recently moved back from out of the country or from another province in which case you may have to wait a few months before it starts.

9. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Well I had to apply for Premiums which because of my income being less than $22,000 I would be 100% covered. But I got no confirmation of this D=

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Here is a link to MSP, and the forms that you would need to fill out if you wanted to apply for MSP. MSP usually gets its information from your tax return and based on that information they will adjust your additional coverage. In fact, BC Health in assessing its premiums, gets all of its information from your tax return.

When you apply, BC Health will do the checks automatically. You don't have to supply them with any additional information unless they explicitly ask for it.

Here is the contact information for MSP and BC Health.