1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend the 'ex-gay'

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kettleoffish, Nov 7, 2010.

1. kettleoffish

I have a few Muslim friends from Pakistan, and I found out yesterday that one of them 'used to be' gay from someone who's known him for years, I know that there's no such thing as being gay in the past tense, and having had my personal gaydar go off a little when I first met him I was interested. I've never met someone who claims to have changed sexuality before and I was wondering how I should handle this. He knows I'm gay, but he doesn't know I know this (the only person here who knew was extremely intoxicated when he released this information).

2. x2x2x2x2y2

I'd just treat him like any other friend. And maybe by hanging around with you he'll see that it's ok to be gay.

3. starfish

I agree. Take no action. Over time your friend will decide who he wants to be.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! The only thing you can do is be there for him and show him that you are his friend and are there for him. Keep being open open about yourself with him. Let him come to you.

Given his cultural background, and being from a region of the world were he could be disowned by his family for being gay, or perhaps even worse, he probably can use a few more friends who are there for him.

5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I agree with Mirko.

But the ex-gay thing is a lie. No one is ex-gay. Even the so called ex-gay fad in Western society is a scam, because the people they treat never turn heterosexual. They're just abstinent, but still gay.

Either he was never gay to begin with, or he is just lying to prevent any possible persecution and outcasting.

It's also extremely possible that the intoxicated person who told you that was just lying or had the wrong information.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agree with all above. You're apparently out-n-happy, so just keep being out-n-happy. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very true Steven. See "But I'm a Cheerleader!" for "proof" :lol:

8. kettleoffish

Turns out my information was false anyway, my friend was too high to realise my other friends roommate was joking.