1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Against Gay Step-brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JakeyJay, Nov 7, 2010.

1. JakeyJay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've known my step-brother for 3-4 years and I just found out he's against gays. I haven't told anyone yet, and now I'm scared to. What if my other step-brother, step-sister, step-dad, dad, or even my mom is against gays too? Help me! :tears::help:

2. x2x2x2x2y2

I've heard stories of people being against gays, then their son/brother/friend/cousin/dad/mom/step-brother/whatever come out and they eventually learn to be ok with it.

Plus, just because you step-bro is against it doesn't mean everyone else around you is. Everyone has their own opinion. Don't worry too much about this. (*hug*)

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to EC!

Sorry to hear that your step-brother seems to be homophobic, but it does happen that people change. Knowing that your step-brother seems to be homophobic, shouldn't deter you from coming out to others. Just because your step-brother is against gays, that doesn't mean that your mum or dad are going to be against gays too.

Start with building up your support network, which can include friends, support groups, counselors, teachers, and family. Start by coming to people who you know would be or are supportive and accepting. As you do that, you will start to build up your confidence and also feel a lot more comfortable about yourself, making it perhaps easier for you to come out to your family down the road.

If you can, maybe try joining a support group at school or in your community. Having that support can be of real help. Support groups provide a safe space and it allows you to talk with others and get to know others. Talking with others and exchanging experiences can be quite helpful at times.

If you are in school, maybe try talking to a counselor as an extra layer of support.

Also, as you start coming out to those who you can trust and know will be supportive, you will find that you will be become less scared about coming out.

Take it one step at a time, and one day at a time. (*hug*)

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll add the thought that many people find it easy to homophobic...until they find out somebody they know is gay. Until that time, gays are "them" - some nameless group of faraway people that it's easy to look down on. But when they find out that somebody they know is gay, they're often forced to actually reconsider their stance for the first time. So just because your step-brother acts homophobic now doesn't mean he will once he finds out. Time will tell.

Lex