1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like Lebron James in the new Nike Ad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RedState, Nov 9, 2010.

1. RedState

So What Should I do?

I was recently presented with an outstanding employment opportunity...one that only comes across every so often. It would be one hell of an experience and the potential contacts and ability to advance are there.

The Catch: Almost half the salary I am making now and twice the work.

My thought: the power company doesn't accept "one hell of an experience" as payment...nor do those in Charlotte at Bank of America. In other words, a great experience doesn't pay the bills.

It's been a while since I have asked for open advice...so what do you guys think...what should I do?

2. Mogget

Keep your current, well-paying job. Sucks, but bills are important.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ordinarily, I'd say go live your dreams, and take the once-in-a-lifetime job.

However, you're a Republican. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if you are already thinking about 'how' you are going to be paying your bills, I'd say keep your current job. Sure, it might not be the "one hell of an experience" but you can always keep an eye out on the job that is "one hell of an experience" and pays well. :slight_smile:

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh Lex, I love you.

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really depends on how you do the math. Can you survive on half your current salary? If you can't at your current rate of using money: can you cut down on some expenses you're making right now? any expensive hobby you could swap for a cheaper one?
    It might hurt, but a good feeling at doing an amazingly interesting job might make up for it.

And how is the possible advancement in the new job? will you ever get to a higher level? Or ar you limited to forever making less than you do now? How unique is the job you do now and could you get back into the field, should this new thing not work out?

If you can make it work (even if it means cutting down on luxury), there's room for advancement, and you have some fall-back possibilities if it doesn't work out, I'd say go for it! ecause the older you get, the harder it is to still make changes, and you might regret not jumping at opportunity.

If it means not paying all your bills and living on your reserves, with no escape chute in sight, I'd reconsider, and wait for another opportunity, though.

7. Jim1454

At 29, with no dependents, you could make this work. You'd have to give up some of the trappings that you currently enjoy - like your big supercharged truck. But you could make it work I'm sure.

For me, with 2 kids to support, mortgage payments and the like, I simply couldn't absorb a dramatic cut in pay.

The old saying 'no pain, no gain' exists for a reason.

But what you're currently doing is pretty cool too - and provides lots of contacts and I would think opportunity for advancement in different ways. So it likely is a really tough call.