1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biting my tongue

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Paper Heart, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Paper Heart

Has anyone else ever had to...wait on their fight against prejudice? Like this weekend, my friend and I sold raffle tickets at a local church. I never attended that particular church, so I went in open-minded, hoping that they'd be a little more open. Well as you can assume from this, they had a speaker talk about his conquests of returning people to the faith. One of these stories was a lesbian, and how she became the poster child for the "it's a choice" movement. At this point, my friend kept whispering, "don't say anything" to me. He knew I wanted to, but I knew that we wouldn't sell any tickets if I did, so I sat through it. I also knew that they would only think badly of gays if I did shout out during the service. But it still makes me feel like I didn't do anything to educate anyone. I've been trying to be more of an activist, but I didn't want to do more harm than good.

So after all this, has anyone else had to bite their tongue and shut up for a moment? (I'm sorry if this is wordy, I just think far too much)

2. stad90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Every single Sunday that I walk into church. My tongue is (figuratively) bleeding by the end of the day.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm not totally out to my extended family and family friends because my parents aren't ready to "come out" yet which is perfectly find with me, but because of this I have had to sit thru some pretty annoying comments and smile at how ignorant they are.

Really annoying sometimes, though.

4. Happy Vampire

I felt that way today actually. I go to a college ministry every Tuesday and every Tuesday until this one I enjoyed it. It is non-denominational and the leader doesn't preach on anything negative. He gives lessons on why God loves us and things that actually make me feel like life is worth something. But today a guy that I thought was pretty cool started to harass me. I just got disgusted though and walked away from him. I didn't want to start a scene and I don't think he would have understood either. But not 10 minutes later he walked up to me and apologized. I accepted even though he changed my opinion of him forever.
    So I guess we all have our times where holding our tongue is the best thing we can do.