1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first date in ages.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mischa91, Nov 11, 2010.

1. mischa91

I have a first date coming up on saturday and i wanted a little advice and maybe some encouragement that it isn't going to be as awkward as i think it will be.

I've never actually been on an official first date before and i'm a little nervous. We're going to dinner and a movie and i asked him out so i shouldn't really be nervous. I just don't really know what's expected of me you know, like will he expect a good night kiss? How should i dress? Dressy or casual? I'm not the most girly girl and honestly don't even own a skirt so i'm thinking jeans and maybe a nice sweater/top depending on the weather.

I picked a fairly casual restaurant (chinese mmm) and we're going to see a horror film which hopefully won't inspire much romance. I want to take things really slow since i haven't dated anyone in years and am just really taking baby steps with this guy. I had a bad relationship experience when i was young and it's been really hard to even consider inviting anyone new into my life.

I'm just nervous and really wouldn't be posting but if i try and talk to my friends about this they'd either laugh at me or not understand at all.

2. Jay

Jay

Wear what you would wear for any other special occasion. Behave like you would behave with the people you care. Have your true colors show through. He should like you for who you are, not for who you pretend to be. I mean, a relationship cannot be based on lies and will most certainly not be started by living a lie, would it?

Do tell how it goes, please! Instead of feeling nauseous about it, feel excited, you're back in the game and with an A game hopefully :slight_smile: Good luck! :grin:

3. mischa91

Thanks. I am quite excited about it but you know nervous at the same time.

I will. :slight_smile:

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Say you just did laundry, so everything's available. And you're going to out for a fun night with friends. You'd probably wear "nicest casual". That's usually a good bet. :slight_smile:

Keep the focus on him. Ask questions about him, his job, his hobbies. Nudge them forwards a bit. How long has he played golf, does he try to get those video games the day they come out, how many model cars has he built? Let his interest fuel your interest. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First kiss doesn't have to be on the first date. I think people get the misconception that gay men have to kiss on the first date. My boyfriend and I didn't even kiss until our fourth date, a month into the relationship. So yeah don't worry about the kiss thing unless he either asks to kiss you or leans in.

6. Pokerface

wear high heels, and nothing else if you want to. But the high heels are of vital importance... they always do the trick.

Be yourself and don't lie to make this guy like you. Go with the flow and everything will run smooth.

Be simple and easygoing BUT don't call him afterwards. Wait for him to call you. PLay a little hard to get, you know? That always drives guys crazy.

GOOD luck my friend :slight_smile: and tell us how it went!

7. mischa91

Okay so nice casual and heels.. i can do that, i was actually planing on heels since i'm totally short; plus i can talk about him and ask questions. Does it matter that i asked him out (i was being daring and forward that day), should i still wait for him to call me?

Thanks, i will.

8. Pokerface

it's completely okay if you asked him out, that's kind of sexy, too!

and yes, wait for him to call you back, you shouldn't do all the work :grin:

good luck good luck good luck.

9. mischa91

Yay! sexy and i didn't even have to try.

I'll try very hard to wait for him to call, just something about him makes me want to be all pushy and in charge... at some point this could be a good thing.

Thank you!

10. mischa91

So i just got back from my date and although i was incredibly nervous i think it was a success. We went to see paranormal activity 2, which is so unbelievably scary so it maybe wasn't such a good idea, then we went for chinese food.

He seemed like he had a good time, wants to do it again so i'm assuming that's good. he was a complete gentleman, opened the car doors and all that stuff; it's odd because normally when someone opens a door for me or something i usually think "i'm not incompetent i can open it myself" but tonight i thought i'd just go with it and it was fun.

I'm going to wait for him to call me instead of calling him. i hope he calls!

11. Jay

Jay

YAY! If he's the smart kind, he will call back :slight_smile:

12. mischa91

i hope so!