1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xmas Party

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EM68, Nov 12, 2010.

1. EM68

Next month my company is having a huge Christmas party. Not only my dealership but the whole corporation and I don't know what to do. I am pretty much out to the whole sales department at work and it feels great! I have felt so at ease and have been the best couple of months at work. A couple of the receptionists (women) have asked me if I am planning to take my bf because they love to meet him. I have been torn. I am planning to go but I am not too sure if I am ready to bring my bf. Should I bring my bf? Should I go alone? Not go? I want to talk to my bf about this but I don't want to hurt him.

2. s5m1

Go, take him and have a good time. :slight_smile:

3. EM68

I just don't know why I am so nervous about this. We go out all the time and I'm more that fine. Its been eating at me.

4. s5m1

Remember how hard it has been for you at each step, and how well things turned out each time. You have a lot of baggage from the years past, and they will always be with you to some degree. Ask yourself what you want to do and whether it is just fear that is preventing you from acting. If it is, take a deep breath, think about all your successes so far in coming out and then go for it. Try to not let the fear prevent you from living the life that you want to lead.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try not to over think it! :slight_smile:

Yep, it is going to be a another step but also keep in mind that you have already taken quite a few steps over the past little while. I think introducing your boyfriend to your family was probably the largest one of them all. This one, should feel more more like an afterthought.

Go to the Christmas Party with your boyfriend. Introduce him to the receptionists, chat away and have a great time.

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would try not to think about it too much and it sounds like a good opportunity to bring your bf. I say bring him and have a good time. :thumbsup:

7. Eleanor Rigby

Just an idea, why don't you invite some of your colleagues who are supportive to take a drink at home one evening and meet your boyfriend before the Christmas party ? This way, some people will already know him and will already have seen you as a couple, you won't need to introduce your boyfriend to them and that may help other people to go with the flow.

8. EM68

Thanks guys.I am going to talk to him tonight when I see him.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good to hear. S5's got the right idea. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Jim1454

Take your boyfriend. And if a couple of the women at work want to meet him, then perhaps you could all go out for dinner together or for a drink after work so then he'll meet them, and them him.

It IS nerve wracking - even if it shouldn't be. My bf has just come out to his graduate students at work, and I'm going to meet them in 2 weeks when he has them over for a holiday get together. And I have to admit that I'm a little nervous too. But the fact of the matter is that we are nervous because we're not sure how other people are going to react. And we worry about that because they aren't exposed to gay people. And they aren't exposed to gay people because we don't let them know we're gay!

So take your boyfriend to the party. Show people that there are gay people around, and that they go to Christmas parties as well! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

11. EM68

I talked to my bf last night and he is going to go with me. Yay :slight_smile: I am excited but still a little nervous. I told one of the receptionist that I was nervous and she understand. She is white and her bf is black. She said that people give them stares but it their lives and who cares, they love each other. She also told me that there are plenty of people at work who care about me and support me and I should go and have a great time.

Jim, they are serving dinner at the party. Thanks everyone. (&&&)