1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bolda, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Bolda

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where I live it seems like all the gay guys in my age bracket are into the stereotypical scenes. Partying, drugs, alcohol, smoking, and promiscuous sex. I was just wondering, is the the general population of gay around the country, or am I just in the wrong place?

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Well a lot of straight people in your age bracket are into all of those too, it seems to come with the territory of being young for a lot of people; the only difference is that the media and stereotypes tell you that this is ALL that gay guys do. But the only reason it seems like all of them are into that is because they're the ones who are being the most noticeable. Just like there are many straight people who find that partying, drugs, alcohol, smoking and promiscuous sex aren't for them, there are many gay guys you'll find aren't into these things either.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! While a lot of guys in your age bracket might be into the stereotypical scene, there are also a lot of guys who are not.

I don't think that 'partying, drugs, alcohol, smoking, and promiscuous sex' can be generalized to whole gay population in your age bracket. It depends in large part on where you meet other gay guys or where you like to hang out yourself. I myself, am not into the 'stereotypical scenes'. I rather go to social events hosted by support groups, which tend to attract quite a different crowd.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been my experience that it sort of works the other way. People see a partyer, and are quick to tag him as "gay". But if they see a gay guy at the library, or at the movies, or even at a non-"party" bar, they're a lot less likely to tag him as "gay". In other words, they're simply noticing the partyers a lot more. The non-partyers are less likely to be congregated in one place, and even when they are, they might not attract as much attention.

Lex