1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am I ashamed?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crimsonarcher, Oct 5, 2007.

1. crimsonarcher

cause someone told me that "why aren't you proud of who you are".....just because i don't have "gay" on my myspace...

i hide it very often...
    i am scared everyday, even though i have came out 7 months ago on the 3rd of October.........

is this OK?
    or am I ashamed?

2. No, just cause you don't announce it doesn't mean you are ashamed. Ashamed would be like denying it if asked.

3. crimsonarcher

i would deny it if someone asked though....

then again, it depends on who it is that is asking..

4. Yeah that just makes you cautious not ashamed.

5. No day butoday

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone would take that opportunity to bash your lifestyle, then yes, denying it is what most people would do in that situation. That person you were talking to has obviously never experienced any sort of prejudice towards them.

6. justjoshoh

Pride, by definition, is about self-respect... not about what others perceive you to be. If you are gay and you respect yourself as a gay person, you are proud. The gay community, if that even exists, has taken pride to mean that you are willing to demonstrate that sense of self-respect to others. You need not tell everyone you meet that you are gay to be proud, just don't deny what makes you to yourself.

7. Vates

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No, I don't think that you're ashamed at all.

I mean... do you walk up to anyone and ask 'hey, are you straight?'

I'm not out, but if someone asked me if I was gay, I'd probably say no. I'm not ashamed, not one little bit, I just think that there are some things that aren't anyones business - my sexuality is one of those things.

.. Hope that makes sense!

8. crimsonarcher

yeah...you're all right.

9. ALieToDieFor

Texas City,TX but Huntington beach,california atm
    being scared and being ashamed are two completely different things.
    Being scared it the reason most people stay in the closet...
    being ashamed is not.
    I was scared because you hear all the crap people say about gays and on top of that what some guys/girls do to gays/lesbians...killing them, torturing them, putting them down in any way possible.
    The only way to know if you are ashamed is if someone says " fucking fhag" to you and you feel bad about it.
    If that is the case then you are ashamed..there is no reason to be but you are and there isnt anything wrong with that.

10. SpikySpice

Yeah, it's not shame or anything, because it's not teh wrong thign to do, to protect yourself, it's just being cautious.

Because if you dont seny it, soemthign not good may happen to you right, and you may even regret it, it's ok to deny things, as long as you dont deny it in your brain