1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got a rainbow magnet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alan t, Nov 18, 2010.

1. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I got this rainbow flag magnet. It's a really small one, 1in x 2in. I've been wanting to get one so I could stick it on my office desk, where I already have a few random magnets.

It's not going to be a problem with anyone or anything, someone else already has a whole rainbow flag hanging up.

But still I'm really nervous about it.... should I do it? I don't know what will happen if/when someone sees it.

2. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

I think you shouldnt feel nervous :slight_smile: when you are ready ull do it

3. SwissBoy88

It's a tiny magnet. I think you will be fine. There's someone else with a whole flag, so don't worry. If you feel comfortable tell him/her what it represents to you, if you don't feel comfortable tell him/her you think it's pretty.

4. xequar

LOL, that is one of the things that might happen if you put something where people could see it, is that people could see it. If someone sees it, just go with the flow. If they give you a dirty look, ignore them. If they ask you about it, be truthful. That's all, really. If you're ready to put up a visible thing, you're obviously ready to talk about it. Given that you're in an office setting, chances are very little negative will come of it. In that sort of setting, people are normally pretty guarded about what they say, as anti-discrimination rules and HR policies and the like are usually pretty stringent and most people don't want to risk a run-in with Human Resources.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As xe suggested, that's kind of the reason you got it, right? :slight_smile:

You put it up. Some people will notice. Most won't say anything. If somebody does, it'll probably be along the lines of "Really? You're gay? I didn't know." At which point you just say "Yeah" and carry on as before. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! You know it is not going to be a problem. Put it up and don't worry about it! :slight_smile:

7. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i put it up and some people noticed it!!
    i know they knew before anyway, i guess it's obvious, but they probably thought i didn't want them to know, now they'll know otherwise.
    i was looking for a way to avoid having to do any official coming out thing because i'm too shy to talk about this stuff, and i hope this just works instead!!