1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harvey Milk

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by subaru000, Nov 19, 2010.

1. subaru000

For my Public Speaking class, we are working on an Eulogy Speech, one that I have never done before. The first two people that popped in my mind to pay respect to were Perry Ellis (for his pioneering in the fashion industry) and Harvey Milk (for his leadership and pioneering the gay rights movement). I am thinking on giving my speech about Milk but I am being overwhelmed by sadness. It's really sad to even think about the things that he encountered, day in and day out, and I've cried once already thinking about it. I know it will "make" for a good Eulogy but I am afraid that I might cry or something in front of 20 classmates in an auditorium.

I guess my question would be how to turn my sadness and mourning into the deep perseverance and motivation he would want for us all to have? Also, none of the other students have any idea that I am gay, which really doesn't matter because I'm trying to be more out. I'm thinking that if I can force myself to speak up for something that I am passionate about, learn from his experience and manage to get a decent grade then it is a win-win situation.

Thanks in advance for any insight, (I have yet to see Milk so that is another reason I feel like this is a giant wall I need to get over).

2. adam88

Hmm. I was going to suggest looking at Alan Turing as well, but I don't suppose his story's any less tear-jerking. Maybe turn the eulogy around and talk less about his life and more about what he was trying to achieve? Or about the good things that came out of the whole story?

3. subaru000

I can do that. It will show that he achieved more than he thought, like a prophet. That's probably the best way to go about planning so I'll have to start with that. :icon_bigg

Thank you for the advice, adam88.

4. adam88

You're most welcome. :slight_smile:

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah great advice! Alan turing basically designed the mathematical basis for all computers, by himself, decades before it would be feasible to actually build a digital computer. Genius