1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dude's a little... obsessive...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ANightDude, Nov 20, 2010.

1. ANightDude

So here's the deal. I met this guy, he's a freshman, I'm a junior. Nothing wrong with that, he seems like a cool guy to talk to and such.

The issue is is that we've talked on the phone a few times and texted, and at times, he seems he gets a bit over top. Example: He's sent me 3 text messages, called me 7 times, and left a voice mail. I haven't responded to any of them today, with the hope it would die down, but it hasn't.

He's done that twice this week already, today being the 3rd time, and don't get me started about the other weeks. He says it's because he's "bored" or something, but come on, isn't that a bit over the top? Or am I over reacting? He reminds me a lot of me at that age, by that I mean what he's going through with his sexual orientation (he's told me that he likes me, I told him I just liked him as a friend), but I never did this obsessively, so I'm not sure how to handle this.

2. Connor22

maybe you should just be frank with him "dude please lay off"

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if he's a freshman chances are having a BF, plus high school, is all new to him. He a little over excited. Just let him know he's coming on a little strong.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just tell him so. In a friendly way. "Hey, thanks for the attention, but it makes me a bit uncomfortable getting so many messages from you in such a shortcperiod of time. If you could cool it down just a bit, that'd be great. :slight_smile:"

5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Some people are just like that.

My brother sends me 100 IMs in a row even if I don't reply. I've told him not to multiple times. He doesn't think he is doing anything wrong. :/

Oh, he just started doing it now

6. RedState

Yeah it's over the top...but not really out of the ordinary for someone that age. He's simply new and not really familiar with "how things work" so-to-speak.
    If you want it to continue and have him drive you crazy, say nothing.
    If you want some peace and quiet, tell him to chill out. Not only will that help you but it will also probably help this dude in the long run--we all learn from past mistakes and experience remember.

7. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

If I were you, I'd hint around it. Like........say something along the lines of "omg dude you know what I can't stand? When people will call 1,000,000 times" or something like that.

I'd try to get the message across, but be as gentle as possible. If he likes you, I don't think doing anything that might hurt his feelings is a good idea. Just try and be gentle about it, but make sure you get your point across.

That's just what I'd do.

8. VentinIntrovert

I think he just really likes you. People become obsessive when that happens. Although you find it annoying, take it as a compliment.

9. NordicSpirit

Tell him to cool it off a little. Nicely, though. He's probably just a little over excited to have found someone he likes and can talk to about his sexuality.

10. acorn7

People have different expectations of what's acceptable and what's not for communicating. I get annoyed when people send me texts to just talk about random stuff, while a friend would be offended if his boyfriend didn't text him before going to bed...

He is over the top, so I'd just tell him you generally prefer not getting all those calls & texts. Nothing personal.