1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I bring up the Subj ?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by seth381, Nov 21, 2010.

1. seth381

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Over thanksgiving break I think I want to tell my mother and really I'm not sure how to bring up the subject. My thing is I feel like I might fall apart or not be able to not chicken out. I'm pretty much ready all of my friends know and I don't mind and I was asked by both of my parents if I was gay so I think it is time. Anyhow what are ways to bring it up ?

2. Sicsemper79

If they've asked you before they have a pretty good idea. I would bring up the time they asked you and start with a question... "you asked me if i was gay, is that something you would be worried about?" or something to that effect.

A lot of people, myself included, get really caught up on how to say "i'm gay". Your best bet though is to just be direct and confident with it. They already strongly suspect, so I wouldn't worry about them freaking out on you.

Good luck!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you feel that it would be too hard to come out to your mom in person, why not write her a coming out letter. If you want have a look at some of the coming out letters in the resource section. Once you have written the letter, leave it for your mom to find it or give it to her to read. If you want, and if you would like to get some feedback on a potential letter, you could post it here.

If you do decide to come out in person, maybe try finding a good time where you would have some time with her alone, and maybe start by saying "there is something I would like to tell you" and take it from there. Another way would be to mention something that she might have said in the past that will allow you to take it as a way into the conversation with her. If they have already asked you, you could use that to start the conversation.

Hope it goes well. (*hug*)

4. seth381

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    See I like the idea of the letter and always have you even mentioned it in a post of mine months back. My issue with it is that I have a mother that is the kind of person that would be offended by not being told face to face. I've thought of telling her that I need tell her something and after that even if I feel like not telling her I will because I can't leave her hanging there.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

Go with that then! Try to catch her during a moment where she has some time to listen to you. Maybe go with her to a room where you know you will be most comfortable. Sit down with her, and then try coming out to her. :slight_smile:

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I you do a thanksgiving prayer at the table just make yours: "And I hope everyone is accepting when I tell them I'm gay. Lets eat!"
    "Oh, mom I have something to tell you."

But seriosuly, just tell them before hand that there is something you wantto talk to them about, once you kinda "force" yourself into it it'llwork. You call or text, email whatever is easiest for you.

7. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could always prepare a letter, read it out to her and give it to her once you have finished. It seems like your parents are open to the idea of you being gay and they probably already have some strong suspicions.

Let us know how you get on! Good luck :thumbsup:

Oh my god, that would be such a cool way to come out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. seth381

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes that would be a really great way to come out but sadly we don't do a prayer before we eat.