1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

parents.... not accepting

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Keagan18, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Keagan18

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everyone!!
    I'm new here so sorry I am not used to forums but it was suggested by one of my friends to start becoming a member of a gay support forum.. so here I am!!
    My name is Keagan and i am gay.
    I have just recently came out to all four of my parents and they all disagree with it.
    They are all Bible thumpers and tell me that it is a sin and that I will go to hell for it.
    However, i am also religious and can not wrap my head around the fact that this is wrong.
    There was a point in my life where i tried to change and surrounded my self with girls... but that never worked out... wonder why.. lol.
    But anyway i can not find a way to change and I am starting to accept that however I've no clue what to do or how to act around my parents.
    I've come to the conclusion that this is who i am and im fine with that..
    But the other issue is.. i have a boyfriend and don't get to spend much time with him at all simply because 1)my parents don't know about him and 2) if he were to come over they would be suspicious and 3) im in college and he's in high school....

sorry for boring you with my problems, but if you have any advice it would be appreciated! :icon_bigg
    Keagan

2. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to the forum :slight_smile: I hope you enjoy your stay :icon_bigg

That must be fun :dry: You must've been very brave to come out to them. Well done. How did it go?

Theres a lot of religious people, particulary christians, who accept homosexuality in some way or another. You could look in to them.

In what sense? How do you think you should act?

3. Miss Bubbles

Just be yourself in small steps thats what my therapist told me to do because of my dad you can't be a full blown queen around him all at once just ease them into it.

4. maverick

Sounds fun. This is the reason I'm not out to most of my family. :dry:

I'm religious too (Buddhist though) and I don't consider it wrong at all. Queer people have been around for the entire history of the human race, and homosexuality is well-documented in animal populations as well. The gender binary is a construct built around biological procreative functions that are much more complicated than we generally accept as a culture.

Hey, why don't both of you join some kind of club (either at his school or yours). That way you have an excuse to meet, but it's legit. That's the only suggestion I can think of off the top of my head.

If things get too hairy, you can always plan on moving out and living on your own. Your house, your rules.

5. Miss Bubbles

^^^ what she said cept im wiccan lol

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

>>>However, i am also religious and can not wrap my head around the fact that this is wrong.

It isn't. But it's easier for some people to simply stamp things as "WRONG" than to force themselves to confront the issue.

>>>But anyway i can not find a way to change and I am starting to accept that however I've no clue what to do or how to act around my parents.

They know. They don't like talking about it. That's true of a lot of people, about a lot of topics. Even straight kids and their parents don't like to talk about (say) jerking off with each other. So you know what? They just don't. The parents almost certainly know the kids do it, but both parents and kids just studiously avoid the topic. I'd say that'd be the best way to go. You're not "lying" to your parents about your sexuality. You've told them, it's known, and they're not going to forget. So just don't talk about it with them. If they bring it up with you - "You still thinking you're gay?" "So how come you're not dating a girl?" - then yeah, feel free to discuss it again. But otherwise, just don't bother. It's probably best for all of you. :slight_smile:

As for your boyfriend, just keep meeting at his place, or at neutral locations. If your parents start in with the questions, just answer them.

"Where are you going?"
    "I'm gonna meet up with some friends."

"What are you going to do together?"
    "Not sure. We haven't decided."

"Is this one of your BOYfriends?"
    "Not sure yet. Should I bring him over so you can meet him?"
    (Trust me - they'll say no.)

Lex

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Four parents? Can I assume then they divorced? Because um...thats a sin :badgrin:

The Bible is not a strict set of rules by which to live your life, it is a tool to help people create and personal reltionship with the lord, unfortunatly people love to use the Bible as a sword to slay everyone who do things THEY don't like. The book of Leviticus a man shall not lay with a man they way he does with a woman it is an abomination, but the book also says the same thing about shell fish, so excuse me for not taking this too seriouly. I mean if I walked around preaching that people were going to hell and that they were disgusting because they eat lobster and shrink and clams! They'd laugh their ass off at me, hey it is in the book, so why not hold that rule to same standards as homosexuality? It couldn't possibly be because THEY have issues about homosexuality and are grabbing at anything they can to justify that hate, after all that is what God is all about spreading hate and not love.

8. Keagan18

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you guys for all the advice!! it really means a lot!!
    @moonstrike.. um it went ok till i told my dad and he basically told me he would never accept this lifestyle from anyone and there was nothing i could do to change is mind.. so yeah he's not talking to me unless he had to XP
    @MissBubbles.. im not a queen at all lol ive been told that i am actually the straightest gay person my friends know lol
    @lexington.. well only his mom knows about him, she doesnt know about me and his dad is pretty much the same as my dad cept he doesnt know... so yeah XP but thank you very much for meeting tips lol
    again thanks everyone!! =)