1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ongaku, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Ongaku

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not really sure what I'm looking for by posting this, but I just felt like I needed to say it somewhere where I could get some sort of feedback.

I've always thought of myself as completely straight. I even remember at one time completely casting off the idea of every liking a girl that way. But I feel like within the last year or so I've started developing different feelings. Actually, I do remember sometime in high school, every once in a while I might've found a girl that I thought was cute or I just couldn't stop looking at, but I always immediately forced that idea out of my head. I think I was afraid of being that way.

But I have a couple friends and family members who are gay/bi and I'm completely comfortable with the idea of it and everything. And within the last year, especially in the last few months, I've been seriously considering the possibility of me being bi. I'm mostly attracted to a specific type of girl: thin, short hair (but not super short), not really butch girls but boyish ones.

So, I'm not sure exactly how bi I could be, cuz I'm still extremely attracted to guys. And I can see myself in a more serious relationship more with a guy. There's just something about the masculinity that I really like. But I still can't help being attracted to those specific type of girls.

And part of me is thinking that I'm only thinking like this because I just want someone period. I've been single pretty much my whole life except for this one guy, but it wasn't much of a relationship. The most we did was a hug or two and holding hands a few times :icon_sad: And I'm just so tired of being alone

I'm not really ready to openly admit this to anyone. Not because I'm afraid they wouldn't accept me, I know they would, but I'm just not comfortable with them thinking of me like that. At least not until I've found a girl that I'd actually want to pursue a relationship with. :confused:

2. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Its ok. A lot of people join this forum to try and figure out what they like. I hope being a part of this forum helps you along a bit (&&&)

3. NordicSpirit

Heya! Welcome to EC!!
    You dont have to come out to anyone until you feel comfortable with it. You said you dont know how bi you could be. Thats ok. You might want to google kinsey scale. Its numbered from 0 to 6, where 0 is entirely heterosexual and 6 is entirely homosexual. 2 to 5 are varying degrees of bisexuality. You dont need to be equally attracted to guys and girls to be bi.

You also said you might only be thinking like this because you are tired of being alone. I can totally relate to that. You dont need to decide on a label right now...or ever if you dont want to! Labels are for soup cans.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

4. knight of ni

Hello and welcome to EC!

I can relate to what you're saying. Much like you, I am very much attracted to guys... but there are one or two women who interest me. Like your situation, both of these women are 'boyish'. I'm not sure its sexual, as such, but I wouldn't mind kissing them and seeing how it felt. I still identify as gay, because that best conveys how I feel about myself and how I feel about the world.

You asked for some feedback, so here goes. Don't worry about labels. If you want to keep identifying as straight, no problem: its your life, and its up to you how you live it and what you call it. And take your time. From your post, it seems like you're already open about your feelings (to yourself, which is the important thing), and are thinking about them, which is good. Keep doing that; think about what you're looking for in a partner and in a relationship, and that should give you some clues.

There's no rush to exploring all of this, and there is certainly no need to 'decide something' one way or the other. It seems from your post that you're probably just out of high school, so you've got years to figure yourself out. Be comfortable with who you are, and enjoy finding out who you are.
    Oh, and please do keep posting if you think EC can be of help!

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC.

6. Vivi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't worry about trying to label yourself. There are a lot of people who lie somewhere in between gay and straight, and your sexuality can change as you figure things out. I used to think of myself as straight (many years ago) but i gradually moved along the scale to the point where i'm pretty much totally gay. I'm not saying the same thing will happen for you, maybe you'll end up in the middle, maybe the interest in girls will pass. My point is that it doesn't really matter. You can't help who you're attracted to, so try not to worry about it.

And if you're not ready to tell people, that's fine. You're probably better waiting until you understand it all a bit better. Give it time and it usually falls into place. And in the meantime, i'm sure you can get plenty of great help and advice here. (*hug*)

7. Ongaku

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you guys so much :slight_smile: I'm feeling a little better now just kind of getting that off my chest and getting some opinions. And I'm feeling a little bit more comfortable with my feelings too. It's kind of weird just being open about these feelings to myself. I only just started being completely honest with myself about it. But I'm slowly getting used to it

This is pretty much how I feel. When I see girls like that I usually get this feeling like I wouldn't mind just doing some flirty stuff and kissing a little. But most of the time I don't really think in terms of super serious relationship stuff or anything

8. Thing

I think the problem with you is that you're trying to label yourself. Don't warry about conforming, be your own person.

My girlfriend is what I would term bi but she doesn't like that label so for the past three years she's labelled herself as simply: queer.

Don't rush things and don't do anything you're uncomfortable with or don't feel ready for. Just hang in there and life will make sense eventually.

Thing
    (*hug*)