1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i'm really lonely

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alan t, Nov 25, 2010.

1. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have any friends. Well I have two or three but they're not in the same city as me. My family is far. Even my roommate is never home. I wish I had people to talk to.

I've always been a little on the depressed side but lately i've been feeling really bad, and it's worse when I don't get to talk to anyone. All I say at all during the day is "hi" to a few people at my work but they're too busy to talk any more or I'm too boring for them.

2. Artemicion

Hi hi!

But unfortunately thats all i can do over online...><

But feel free to PM me anytime.

3. NordicSpirit

Heya! Im in a pretty similar situation. I know how lonely it can get.

Maybe you could join a LGBT group or a reading or sports club and make more friends.
    And dont forget, you always have us to talk to! :slight_smile:

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'd go with Helen's advice: the best way to meet people is by doing things together. In school that's easy, as you're forced to spend time together with a lot of people from all walks of life, but after school that generally means taking up a hobby.

So, try to find out if there is something you might enjoyt doing one or two evenings a week. See if there's a sports club, or a book club, or check out if there's any interesting evening school courses you might be interested in taking (e.g. learning French, or Spanish or another language are especially interesting for this, as you're forced to talk to people just to practice).

Obviously this means reaching out a bit to the people once you're there, but being a newbie facilitates things, as they'll be interested to find out more about you. You might not immediately make friends for life, but everyone you talk to can be potentially more than just a random person!

Also, at work, it's pretty normal that people are busy. It's what they're paid for, after all. But there's bound to be something like a coffee break or similar. That's generally the time to hop by where people are standing and try to join in to a conversation. Nothing big at first, necessarily, but just some banter about work can break the ice already. No one is ever going to engage you in conversation if the only thing they hear from you is "hi", but after even a few superficial conversations, they might open up more often!

And obviously, there's some people here to talk to if talking includes text-based conversation. So never hesitate to hop by the chat room if there's people in or to send me a PM or wall-post. It isn't entirely up to par with real-life chatting, but it is already something!

5. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

+1 on pursuing shared activities & interests as a means of meeting more people.

A good way to get a friend is to be one. Showcasing one's abilities via doing interesting volunteer work can attract the attention of others--including those who are also lonely.