1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get help, or not?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wallrose, Nov 26, 2010.

1. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am in a fairly bad depression slump at the moment. It hasnt been hanging over me long, I think it started around 2:00 this morning. I was reading something that made me realise some really heavy stuff about my life; how unfulfilling and empty it is, how I spend most of my time stuffed away from everyone else, and rarely go out with people (infact, I spent 8 hours out and about today with friends, this may not seem like much to anyone else, but this is probably the longest I have spent with friends, away from the house) but the worst, heaviest, most mind burdening thought I am having is the fact that the chances of me every having a relationship, are pretty much nil, for various reasons which I wont go into detail about, and since I have been really depressed. It isnt really a big issue, I have gone through this before, a couple of times. I sort it out myself, and get through it myself. I try to keep myself occupied and just ignore it until it goes away.
    Though at the moment I do feel crap, like really crap. I have lost my appetite entirely, and have spent most of my day staring blankly into space. This isnt a problem, I just sort it all out myself. I dont worry about it, its just something I have to put up with. Life's like that, you have to take the crap to get to the good stuff.
    But, what is concerning me, is this healthy? I get by alone, and can sort out all of my problems without help from anybody. I have spent most of my life on my own, I'm not a very social person, so I can deal with things myself. Infact, its when other people try to help that things get difficult, they just get in the way of everything, and make all my problems worse. It seems fine to me, but I dont know if this is any way to live. Sure, if I could bring myself to get help with this sort of thing, I would, but I can get by without it.

2. Dykezz

Hi Wall rose (*hug*)

I am not a psychologist but I think there are some things in your life that you are not happy about. I know what it is like going through it all by yourself. I was like you. I did everything by myself and I thought I never needed anyone. Till one day I just crashed. I started having panic attacks and became a bit depressed. This was probably the period that I needed someone the most but I didn't have anyone. I started making an effort to change. It is hard to change when you are so used to being a certain way. Try to figure out exactly what is bothering you. Then see if you can make a change that is best for you. You don't have to do it alone. Its oke to ask for help. See a therapist that can help you through this. You don't have to take the crap, to get to the good life. See a therapist and try to get better so you can start living the good life that you deserve.

If you need someone to talk to you can send me a message.

:kiss:

3. Jim1454

Hi there. How are you feeling now? Has this feeling passed?

I think it's perfectly OK for us to have times when we're feeling down. Sometimes those times are triggered by something specific, other times it just comes over us for no apparent reason. But then they pass - which is fine.

If they don't pass, then you really should talk to someone about them. Not necessarily friends - but your doctor or your parents or a trusted teacher or counsellor. You don't need to 'deal' with this stuff on your own. There are people around you who can help and who want to help. Keeping everything to yourself isn't a healthy approach. And the sooner you can change that the better you'll be.

Sometimes depression can be self fulfilling. We are feeling down, so we have negative thoughts, which reinforces the depression. I'm thinking that your conclusion that you'll never have a relationship likely comes out of that kind of thinking. In other words, I think you're wrong. You're only 16, and LOTS of people haven't had a relationship at your age. LOTS of people haven't had a relationship at 20. SOME people haven't had a relationship at 30 or 40. But almost EVERYONE will have a relationship with someone at some point in their life. I doubt that you're SO special that you fall into that outlying group. Just give it time.

So try not to get into those negative trains of thought. Instead, focus on the positive. You DID spend 8 hours out the other day with friends. That sounds like a great time. What's stopping you from getting together with them again some time? Can you organize something? Have you let them know how much fun you did have, and how you'd love to get together again soon?