1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usual long-distance awfulness

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by justcrosby23, Nov 26, 2010.

1. justcrosby23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok so... my boyfriend's moving. We've been going out for about sixth months and he doesn't wanna break-up...
    -He's moving to New York, and I'll be here in California
    -We haven't had sex or anything yet, but it still felt serious emotionally
    -We've said we love each other and I think I really do.
    I've thought about it before and I could see myself being with him for... a long time? I don't wanna say forever but yeah.. I guess that's what I mean..
    I mean... I don't see how we'd ever see each other... so it'd be REALLY hard but if any of you guys have any experiences with this I'd really appreciate some advice, and even if you aren't experienced in this any feedback is welcome :]

Thanks guys!

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, it sounds like what you have with him now is great and everything, but long-distance is really difficult. It can even be difficult if it's only an hour or two away. I dated someone who lived a two hour train ride from me. It was really difficult to keep that relationship together because if you don't see someone for a while, your feelings for them can definitely start to fade over time.

Plus, You're only 15... You likely wouldn't be able to live near eachother until you are at least 18 years old, which would mean 3 years of not seeing each other. I don't think you could not see someone for 3 years and have the relationship stay the way it is now. It honestly might be best for both of you if you didn't go through with it.

That being said, everyone is different. If you think you can find a way to make it work, go head and give it a try! There are people out there who have made it work in the past, but it's going to be difficult.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The odds are heavily stacked against you. The lack of proximity and your young age are going to be huge obstacles in your way. The idea of "remaining true" is a nice romantic ideal, but it rarely works out that way. You'll both meet other potential boyfriends, and if you actually hit it off, it's really not worth passing them up on the idea that "you have someone 3000 miles away.". That's especially true at your age - people can change a lot in three years, and perhaps none more than during the ages of 15 and 18. Even if you do get back together (physically) in three years, there's no guarantee that you'll still feel the same about each other then.

Best bet - agree to give it a go, but with the understanding that ut might not work. Don't demand promises from each other. Just stay in touch, and wish each other the best.

:slight_smile:

4. xequar

My boyfriend and I were in a long-distance relationship for the first year and a half before he moved to Michigan. He was in Chicago, which is 4.5 hours from Detroit by car. Every weekend, one of us drove to see the other.

That said, New York and California are more than 4.5 hours apart, unless you can both afford plane tickets every weekend. I'm not going to say that it's impossible, but given the distance, it's an incredibly huge long shot that it'll work out.

Like others said, keep in touch and see what happens. Do not set up any expectations or unrealistic promises or goals, though, or you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.