1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geeky reasoning...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xander391, Nov 27, 2010.

1. xander391

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This sounds really nerdy but whatever! I feel like Rogue from the X-men. DO you know who I'm talking about? She has a strip of white hair and her power is to absorb other people's powers and memories. That's what I do. I become so clOSS to people that I start to steal certain attributes about them. I really dont have anything that makes me just me I take fron everyone around me. It wouldn't be so much of a problem but I steal from the guys I crush on who are my friends but don't like me in return but when I notice what I've stolen from them it reminds me of the pain I feel becuz were not together. Just like Rogue I can't get close to another boy without hurting him or myself. I feel like I'll end up scaring him away once he sees the real me. So I feel like a mutant who no one wants to relate to nerdy I know but it's the best thing I could compare my situation with :lol:

2. gialamas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay first off, if a boy ever told me their feelings in the form of an x-men character, they'd instantly become my best friend ever! :grin: A ton of guys love that kind of "geeky" stuff :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But it's a normal thing to begin mimicking and adopting other peoples' mannerisms. I personally have a bad habit of picking up on peoples way of talking and copy how they speak identically when I'm around them. More or less we all do this. But I'm sorry to hear that it's hurting you so much, especially with someone you feel close to. *hug*

There seemed to be another issue about no one knowing the real you. But let me repeat myself, any guy who can make a comparison with a xmen is awesome in my book :slight_smile:. And I'm sure some guy will see that too. Until then, youll just have to chug on through and hopefully get over the crushes you have with your other friends. Good luck!

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know exactly who Rouge is, I also know that parts of her memory are blocked and she can't remember everything about who she is, and there are parts of herself she doesn't like. Sound familar?
    Maybe you mimic other because your not sure who you are, yet; or, possibly you don't like certain things about yourself and mimicing others fills in the gaps.

I'm not Psych major so I don't have all the answrs, but I do know people pretty well. Perhaps you mimic qualities you see in others that you wish you had in yourself, you said you mimic crushs, people you find attractive, who have qualities you like.

Nathaniel Hawthorne once wrote:
    "No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself, and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be true."

I'd also like to say how much it pleases me to see other gay nerds other there, I can never seem to find any.

4. midwestblues

That just shows you are intelligent and willing to mature. Picking up traits from people whom you admire and respect as you go throughout your life is what almost everyone does. It doesn't mean that you're 'stealing attributes,' and it doesn't mean that you have no original traits to call your own. You've probably inspired other people in your life to emulate some of your mannerisms, mannerisms you might not even realize make you original because you're so used to them.

As far as your mannerisms that painfully remind you of past relationships, there's really nothing you can do about that except take a deep breath and try not to dwell on it.

#4 midwestblues, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010