1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of confidence

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by QuietDude, Nov 30, 2010.

1. QuietDude

Hey Everyone :kiss:

I have always been an introverted guy and being quiet is just who I'am, sure I have been bullied in the past for it but I can't just radically alter my personality.

I do however want to be more confident around people, not cocky just enough confidence so I can approach people and get to know them as it's always been an issue for me.

How do I do this without it being awkward for myself and the people involved?

My social skills really suck! :lol:

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Funny, I was just talking about this to someone.
    Social skills are something you build, not something you just have. Get out there talk with people, if the conversation is boring, find another group chat with them.
    The good thing about being bullied, it helps you develop a good cache of witty comebacks, which people love.
    Good starting point: people love to talk about themselves or tell a story.
    Comment on someone's shirt, or hat, or nose ring. Just get the ball rolling and go with it

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mal's got it. It's a skill set you'll have to develop. Lex's two rules for conversation with strangers:

1. Find your common ground.
    2. Ask questions based on your commong ground.

So let's say you see someone in the grocery store. That's your common ground.

"Do you know where they have the baking soda here?"
    "I see you have (product) in your cart. I've been meaning to try that. Have you had it before? Do you like it?"

Lex