1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Thing, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Thing

OK, so I'm Bi and am out at school, in fact I'm one of three Bi's in my year. I am struggling however, to tell my sister and parents. I know they aren't homophobic or anything and that they'll accept me but I just can't find the guts to tell them.

Second, I have this ENORMOUS crush on a straight guy in my year, what do I do?

Thanks in advance.

Thing

2. Blondie

Blondie Guest

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome to EC!!

Coming out to parents and family is usually tough, even when you know they'll be supportive. It's making yourself vulnerable about something you're sensitive about, and it's talking about sexual stuff, neither of which is something most people want to do with family members.

But the bottom line is that if you feel like you're ready and they're ready... then it's time to take the next step. If you read about others coming out stories here, you'll find that some people do it casually (such as over dinner), some write letters, some do it during a car ride... whatever works best for you. I think a lot of people have chosen to do it with a letter which they hand to their family/parent and have them read in their presence, that way they aren't stumbling over words.

Whatever method you choose, take your time, be thoughtful about it, and prepare for some level of surprise or unpleasant response at the very first and realize that the initial response may have no bearing on the ultimate response.

Please keep us in the loop and let us know how it transpires!

4. Prccgeek

I found that if you want to tell the face to face, it is sometimes good to do it in a public place. I told my mom when I was out at dinner with her. That way she couldn't make a big scene. It kind of forces people to calm down and be rational. (plus the wait staff was totally listening in and enjoying the gossip. I would see then gather together and talk and the would always give me big comforting smiles as they walked by) it was kind of hilarious :slight_smile:

5. Thing

Thanks for the advice.(&&&)
    I'm thinking of telling my dad (I'm closest to him) when the two of us are out at lunch this Friday. I still don't know how to tell my mum and sister though (working on it!).

Stuck with the crush though. I'm thinking of going out with someone else to, you know, exercise my feelings.(*hug*):kiss:

Thing :thumbsup:

6. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you know that they will be understanding, and you have already come out to everyone else, then there shouldnt be a problem. Right?

You could try telling one to start off with.

7. Paper Heart

I wish I did that! I totally knew that the wait stuff does that stuff.

You seem to be getting a lot of help with the coming out, so I'll tackle the crush. You need to realize that he is straight and that there is no hope, no chance, in the forseeable future of him being gay and if he did suddenly realize he is, then he'd have a lot to deal with and would probably not be boyfriend material. Its better to distance yourself from him, join a club/sport/play, something to take your mind away from him. I wish I did that and didn't spend 2 years hoping that I'd get together with one guy.

8. Thing

Crush problem over guys!

I now have a wonderful girlfriend and my feelings for him are completely gone!

Yay!

Still working on telling the parents though, might have to postpone it though, as I am now coming to terms with being trans! Completely the wrong time, what with A-Levels, to have an identity crisis!

Thing
    (*hug*)