1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing my office's equal opportunity/harassment policy.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by maverick, Dec 3, 2010.

1. maverick

So, I have my performance review today, and before our reviews we have to fill out paperwork that outlines our accomplishments for the year, our professional goals for the coming year, and any suggestions for improvements to the company.

Well, in the last section (improvements to the company) after much deliberation, I wrote that because my company is a progressive, minority-owned corporation, that they should seriously consider adding "sexual orientation" to their equal employment opportunity and harassment/discrimination policies, since it's not covered.

I'm sort of nervous now, and I'll have to go in to talk to my boss this afternoon. Any advice for when the subject comes up? I think I'm just going to be honest and tell him that I'm gay, and that while I don't have a significant other/partner right now, I don't see why there is any reason I should receive different benefits from my coworkers in the future simply because it's not legal for me to get married.

Thoughts?

2. Thing

I say, is he a homophobe?
    If he is, I'd say you just think its fair.
    If not, tell him, he'll get it.

Thing
    (*hug*)

3. maverick

I doubt highly that he's a homophobe, he's really laid-back and he's from California. If he was from this area, I would probably be a lot less likely to bring it up...but thanks for the advice! :kiss:

4. Thing

Any time!

Thing
    (*hug*)