1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Money Depression

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Dare2bProud

Ugh! I'm probably just finding something in my life to feel bad about, but I have not been working for the last four months, I was able to get unemployment and I had savings built up. I will be back to work after the first of the year. I guess I'm feeling that in the last four months I have spent money frivolously on stuff that I didn't need. Paid for expensive theatre tickets and just splurged. I don't have any bills except for a credit card, but that's the problem, I ended up putting a lot of $$ on that too. I have been overly depressed the last few months and there has been a lot drama that followed me from my job and then with my relationships in my hometown. My family has had stress with my sister's wedding and her fiance. So I just ended up spending money. Lots of money. Mostly to just get away from my family, friends and to give me some self worth. Is this common? I'm assuming I'm not the only one and I know I will recover. I can recover. I just feel so irresponsible that I didn't save and have been so frivolous. *shrugs*

2. maverick

I'm right there with ya, broke as a joke and I have just stopped paying on my credit cards about two months ago because I simply can't afford the payments right now.

But since they screwed me over by arbitrarily raising my APR to 30% due to "economic conditions", they are last on my priority list as far as money goes and I'm not sure I intend to pay them back at all because I have paid back the money I borrowed and then some, but I just can't seem to get my principal down because they have raised my interest rates so high I can't even make payments and make rent too.

I am going to get my car fixed and save up a few thousand dollars in an emergency fund before they get any more money out of me. *shrug*

3. starfish

Hello my name is Starfish and I too buy things to make me happy.

I dug myself into a lot of credit card debt about 10 years ago. I have it paid off now. One thing I have done is just accept that this is one of my quarks. So I budget for it and I set aside money for when I go over budget. That way I don't rack up a ton of debt again.

I think it may be a side effect of me being single for so long. There is no one to say you seem sad today or to just hold me when I feel alone. So I do the next best thing. I go buy a new wrench set.

Good news is that you will be back to work next month. So you'll have an income again and that will likely help with the stress and depression.

---------- Post added 5th Dec 2010 at 04:30 PM ----------

I can understand where you are coming from. I've been there. However you still need to look out for your self. Instead of just walking away from the debt I recommend contacting a service Consumer Credit Counseling Services. They can work out a payment plan and get your interest rates lowered. You will take a hit on your credit but not as much as defaulting.

Bad thing is that if you default eventual they will sue you and get a judgment. In many states once they get a judgment they can go an empty your savings and checking accounts. So now you are stuck with more debts, shit credit, and no money.

If things are really bleak there is bankruptcy. While not good it can be better than doing nothing.

I don't think I can post the URLs I know of a couple of website that helped me while I dug myself out of the credit card mess. If you are interested send me a pm.

#3 starfish, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. Blondie

Blondie Guest

Try and work wit the CC company at a good low payment first do not disclose that your going to be working or how much or even where or how to be contacted if they need to contact you get a prepaid cell and give them that number there may also be certain laws in your state check into them Also get every thing in writing insist on it(if you ever need to goto court) once the payments are done you should stay away from credit cards if theres some thing that you want or need check and see if its online and what payment options they have I use paypal along with the greendot cards you also need to come up with a good budget and so forth one such program that can help is called GNUCASH its FREEyou can add as much or as little as you want

http://www.gnucash.org/

Good Luck