1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with my dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MMAnick, Dec 5, 2010.

1. MMAnick

My dad has been on me about getting a girlfriend. Theres not a day that goes by without him saying "you need a girl...you were born a boy for a reason..." and things like that. I was this close to saying something and telling him that i dont want a girl and now things like this and its getting worse.

Is there anything i can do short of telling him that can get him to stop or atleast stop making me feel like crap everyday?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really. You might try turning it around on him. "Why is it so damned important to you that I have a girl? Personally, I'm a bit more concerned with my future and my job situation."

Lex

3. Thing

I feel sorry for you man. My dad was fine with it when I came out to him today. To be honest, I say, are you financially dependant on him. If not, come out to him. If he disapproves, it doesn't matter as much.

Hope this helps,
    Thing
    (*hug*)

4. Elven

Hmmm if my dad was being like that I'd probably say something like "There's more to life than girls, I'll make my own future thanks :dry:" and drill the point in... But I'm sorry you have to go through that kind of stuff (*hug*)

5. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tell him to mind his own damn business. Thats what I would do.

6. Holmes

If he keeps going on about it, you should probably assume he has a fair idea you're gay. Because ordinarily, a father knows telling someone to get a girlfriend is not like telling them to go get the milk, you can't just come back with one a few minutes later.

Don't rush into telling him you're gay just yet, he's probably already coming to terms with that in the back of his head. It won't be a complete shock to him when you tell him, but it seems like he knows but is in denial.

Try being rational with him, say "You know these things don't just happen, I'll let you know if I find someone".

7. Miss Modular

Well, my dad always asks me when I'm getting married, to which I reply "Two weeks, okay?!" Since he knows that I've never dated anyone, he usually laughs and/or groans, and drops the subject.

And here is where I get the two weeks from:
    [​IMG]

It works for me.

8. MMAnick

I'll try saying some of thoes things thanks everyone. Today he got mad at me because my sister was home for a few hours and had some friends over and he told me that i was an "embarrassment and disgrace" for not trying to talk to them. Next time imma try some of these suggrestions.

9. Miss Modular

You could also tell him that you have high standards, and that your sister's friends don't meet them.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>You could also tell him that you have high standards, and that your sister's friends don't meet them.

That could be dangerous ground, as it both slams your sister's friends AND opens the opportunity for your dad to ask who DOES meet your standards. Which might lead to some uncomfortable talks or silences.

I"ll second the notion that he thinks you're probably gay, and is attempting to bully it out of you. Which is like trying to bully out your blonde hair or tallness, but there it is. Next time your sister has friends over, go ahead and talk to them. You might even say "My dad seems to think I'm supposed to approach you, chat you up and hit on you while you're over here. But I'm pretty sure you didn't come over here for that. So if it's OK with you, let's just wait a bit, and you can tell my dad I put some smooth moves on you, and you can go back to what you were doing."

Lex

11. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Have tried getting the sand out of his vagina? i kid if only it were that easy,

you could just do what i do and try and keep up appearances, ask one of your female friends to help you out. So you can put a show on for your dad, but make sure your accomplice is fully aware of the situation. Have you tried showing him there's more to being gay than, limp wrists and musicals ?

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll second Lex's opinions. I think he knows you're gay and is trying to convince himself that if only he yells at you enough you'll get a girlfriend and turn straight.

So perhaps the dodges that people have suggested (Other than the "high standards" one which will only encourage him to think you might be straight) are a good intermediate step, but given that he already knows, you may want to just prepare to get it out in the open and deal with it.

13. maverick

Yeah, they don't have dicks. :lol:

Nick, the sooner your dad gets over the idea that you're going to chase a woman, the better. And please don't try "going straight" with any girls if you honestly don't feel that way about them - it's not fair to the girl you're "dating", and it's really not fair to you either. You deserve to have an open relationship with someone you actually feel sexually attracted to.

If you're not interested in girls, don't waste your time dating them just to meet your father's standards. The fact that he's having problems with you being gay is his problem, not yours.

This has always been my fallback position on the "When are you getting married/having kids?" and "So when are you going to put yourself out there and start dating around?" questions.