1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a lot of people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mandarof, Dec 10, 2010.

1. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I continue to come out, I am interested in hearing about other people's experiences regarding larger groups of people. My primary question is what about the people I suspect are closeted? I would not, for the life of me, ever even remotely consider the possibility of telling anyone else because if coming out is humiliating, imagine being "corrected" saying that I was so wrong, he/they are "normal." Of course it'd be funny years later if they did come out.

So as I tell people for the first time, what if someone (people I suspect or anyone else) becomes uncomfortable? Have people followed up the information with coming out on the spot? My question is a bit confusing but hope it makes some sense.

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, kind of a late reply, but better late than never!

I don't think you should be too concerned about making people uncomfortable. Your coming out is about you being who you are. If there's closeted people around, they might even take heart in seeing someone come out. Or they might decide to keep closeted for a while longer anyway. But that's their choice to make, just as coming out was yours.

One of my friends came out when we were 17. I did feel pretty awkward at the time, and in fact I avoided him for a bit afterwards. It took me 7 more years to come out to him in return (and yeah, that was a litle bit funny. He also wasn't toally surprised). But in the end, that's all my own decisions, and I think he did the right thing in coming out when he was ready for it!

Just make sure that when you refer to the time you were closeted, you don't use any harsh lanuage. It's tempting to say "oh, I can't believe how pathetic I was to remain closeted for so long!". Just stick to the message that you're hapy to be out now!