1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do I begin...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Ok, so I would first like to start off by saying I know what my problem is, i know why I have it... I just don't know how to fix it... Basically the only way I know how to describe this is through a conversation with my friend so here goes, K is my friend, M is me. So i was talking to my friend K about a guy that i am developing a crush on but he is a lot younger then me, not my normal type of guy that I am attracted to, oh and yeah... his sexuality is in question... at the very least he is most definitely not out... if he is even gay. So yeah here is the convo...

K: I've always kinda thought he might be myself... but even if he is, he hasnt come out which makes him extremely young in his journey and not someone you need to get involved with at this point. Why do you feel like you always need someone to be happy?

M: Idk... I do it alot... and I think its just a thing with never having it before... like from a psych standpoint I thinkit is something with me wanting someone who wants me back, cuz it is something I have struggled with my entire life. I got the least attention and was treated the worst by gma, I had to fight with my sister for attention from mom and dad, my bio dad was notorious for forgetting to picking me up or just not caring about me and I am aware of these things I just don't know how to change them... I know the problem just not the solution....

And then she was just like... idk... and it just freaking sucks, Cuz i have been seeing a therapist... but all we have talked about is my relationship with my parents but not exactly how it has effected me and def not how to make anything better... basically the therapist has just been someone to talk to... and like i just want to not have this feeling of constantly wanting someone... And I have dated before... I have had two relationships... the first one, the guy denies it was anything serious and that it wasnt a real relationship or anything like that... and the second was with a guy who was very controlling and I constantly had to check in with him or he would get upset and not be able to eat or anything like that....

2. Its always reassuring to know that no one else knows how to fix it either... =\

3. BasketCase

Your initial post was only made a few hours ago. Give it time and people will reply I'm sure.

4. And yet here it has been almost seven hours since I have posted and nothing... this is why I hate what this site has become... Its sad... someone who actually needs help with something gets pushed aside... Many people are willing to jump in and read what I say, just no one who can help... I cant take this anymore... goodbye EC

5. crystaltriforce

so? it's not like everyone who goes on this site religiously checks for new posts every half hour. if you need to talk to someone that badly and go into the chatroom. there's usually someone there to listen to what you have to say

6. Remk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First thing I think you need to do is talk to your therapist about your family situation and how it effects you, just bring it up. Dont wait for them to pull it out of you. Just tell them and if they aren't willing to talk about it with you find a new therapist.

Second, you know what your issue is, and you know what it stems from but don't know how to fix it. To be blunt it sounds like your in denial about it. It sounds as if you are looking for someone to come along and say something and that it will simply be fixed. You are the only person who has the tools to fix it.

Third please don't hate on the people here at EC. If they don't respond to something it's simply because they don't have anything to say about the situation. Which is better than jumping into every thread feeding people BS.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried to engage your therapist on this? You say right now that the therapist is "just someone to talk to", but have you specifically said "I think I understand why my relationship with my parents has made me to desperately want a relationship, but I'd like to work on getting to a point where I don't feel that way anymore - where I don't feel I need a relationship to feel complete."

Lex

8. Sakura

It kind of sounds like you're looking for a relationship to try to give you a higher sense of self-worth (if that makes sense). I went through something similar and when I realized I was doing that, I tried to join various activities, that I found interesting, to try to boost my self-confidence and get my mind off wanting a relationship. And as the people before me said, if your therapist doesn't bring up something, you might try bringing up the topic to the person instead. I don't know if this was really that helpful, but I hope you can find something good in this. :slight_smile:

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if you've left yet, hopefully not, but I really really think you need to understand that while you're not sure what it is you want, you know what your problem is. I know you hate to hear "I agree with" but I think Lex is right. You should really talk to your therapist about this, that's what he or she is there for. I can understand too where you're coming from, I went through like 8 boyfriends (three of them barely count since they only lasted a week or weren't "official") and constantly was looking for the next one when one left me in the dust, it was only after the last one did I realize I don't need this acceptance of another person to make me happy. Now in your case I can see why this might be a concept harder to grasp because in your own family life you were always reaching out for attention but never receiving it, whereas mine always gave me it which is perhaps why it was easier for me to accept. I'm sorry you haven't been getting what you need from your family because those are the people who should be there for you, but you don't need some guy, especially one who's young and closeted, to give to verification of your existence, you have to give that to yourself.

I know, "easier said than done" but that's why I think you should really talk to your therapist. Tell him or her how you've been feeling ,what you're feeling, that you feel like you need someone in order to give you what you need, and perhaps then he or she can help you discover some means of helping you in the direction.

I wish you much luck and hope and love, remember while I understand people may take time to get back to you on here, but there are people here who care for you on this site and even if we don't get back to you RIGHT AWAY, we're still here, and we will help you the best we can.

S