1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afraid to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lotty, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Lotty

Hey guys!
    I'm kinda sure I'm bi right now. But I have a BIG problem.
    My best friend really hates people who're gay or bi. She says she doesn't care, but when one of my other friends told us she's gay, my best friend reacted really bad (which means she told everyone from school and made sure my gay friend didn't have any friends left). But still, I just don't wanna lose her because of my sexual orientation. She really means a lot to me.
    Also, I'm scared of my parents' reaction. And my sis. I bet my sis will laugh at me and starts making stupid jokes.
    Can anyone help me with this?

2. blankpaper

If this girl can't accept you for who you are then she is not a friend. Period. Judging by her past actions you are better off not being friends. You deserve someone who will respect you and love you no matter what. (*hug*) Good Luck!

3. Ridiculous

I agree. You may be really good friends with her, but if she doesn't accept you she isn't worth your time.

However she doesn't know that you are bisexual and she may change her opinion when she realises that she's had no problem with you beforehand. If she doesn't, then lose her.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Frankly, she sounds like a b**ch, ditch her.

5. Lotty

She's not, she's really nice. She just has a problem with gays. I wanted to tell her today, but I couldn't get the words out.:bang:
    Thanks BTW for your reactions(*hug*):kiss:, but I can't just ditch her.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm sorry, but she sounds like a horrible friend. Making sure to leave someone without friends just because you don't like them, for whatever reason, is horrible.

I say you try to stop worrying about your friend and wait to come out until you are able to say "Yes, I'm bi. Deal with it" I know its hard, but you are going to be looking for her approval rather than concentrating on yourself.

Good luck.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like a pretty shitty best friend. She sounds like a fair weather friend, which is someone who is friends with you only as long as it requires no effort, everything is good and you are what THEY want you to be.
    I'd say cut her loose and find better friends.

8. maverick

Come out to her. If she loves you more than she loves her preconceptions, she'll accept you for who you truly are. If not, she never really cared about you anyway, not to the level that you deserve in a best friend.

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its a tough one and I can appreciate you dont want to just ditch your friend. I think the best thing to do is try and educate her, it might just be from incorrect information or perhaps it is an attitude she has picked up from people she has spent time with in the past. It might be better to try and challenge her attitude against gay people before you come out to her. I think when/if you come out to her you should give her a fair chance but if she doesnt change her ways then I have to agree with the others as she cant be a true friend.

10. Zontar

Welcome to being gay. My name's Zontar.

11. NorthToEcho

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been in the same boat friend wise. But, my best advice is to be honest. If she rejects you, that sucks, but you're clearly better off without her. If she accepts you, that's awesome. Good luck with everything!!!

12. maverick

:lol: This is all kinds of awesome.

[​IMG]

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like other people have said, maybe she's nice to you, but if she has a problem with a group of people just because of who they love, that still makes her a b**ch

14. maverick

Come out, come out, wherever you are. (!!)

15. Darkwing65

Have you asked her what her problem is with "the Gays"? Lol i don't know why i put the gays, just sounds like something a discriminatory person would say. In all seriousness though, whats her problem?

Ditching her is the easy way out. Enlightening her may be more difficult but would better for the both of you.

16. Lotty

Thanks so much for all your advice(*hug*):kiss:. You're right, she should accept it. And if she doesn't, then she's not worth it. Ouch:eusa_doh:, that sounds horrible. But true. But how to tell her?:icon_sad: