1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

less than supportive friend...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mike6557, Dec 13, 2010.

1. mike6557

hey guys

so one of my really close friends just asked me if im gay. i told him i was, and it didnt go over very successfully. He didnt have any reason for asking me, he says he was just screwing around and didnt mean it. Hes a bit of a homophobe and you're probably wondering why i told him. I made a promise to myself that if anyone asks, im going to be honest from now on, and he is my friend. I really dont know what to do, my best friend says there are plenty of other people who will support me, but i really dont want our friendship to be messed up over something stupid like this. Should i do anything or just give him time? this is the first time the person ive told hasnt been fully accepting, and its kind of disheartening :frowning2:

Mike

2. Remk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure how the conversation went after you told him because you did not specify what was said. I do think you need to let him know how much you value your friendship and that nothing is different between you two. Also tell him the standard stuff like your the same person you were before.

If he still does not react well you will have to give him some time and space. He will come around. And in the rare chance that he doesn't, you don't need to be surrounded by an unsupportive person.

Hope everything turns out okay for you two

3. Ridiculous

I wouldn't try and stay friends with him if he doesn't accept it. Chances are he will, he just needs some time to get used to it. It may of taken him by surprise if he was just jokingly asking you and he didn't know how to take it when you said yes.

If he doesn't accept it, my advice to anyone in this situation is to just break off the friendship. He may have been a good friend beforehand, but anyone that can't see past your orientation isn't someone that I'd want to be around.

Still give him a chance first though.

As said above saying "nothing is different" or "I haven't changed, and you were fine with me before" can help make them realise.