1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, how does the world's biggest introvert pursue a girl?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GlindaRose, Dec 14, 2010.

1. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The story so far:

I have been at uni for 1 term, where I have met a girl, A, and we are now really close friends. A few weeks ago, we were at a pub and drinking and chatting etc and ended up playing 'gay chicken' in which I ended up making out with her. That's not when I started crushing on her, though. It was actually a few days later. I was at the pub again with some people from symphony orchestra and she came and joined us. It was then that I started getting signs.

We were playing 'Never have I ever' and on her turn she said 'Never have I ever kissed the same sex'. To which she and I both drank (and a few others as well lol). She also kept saying how she was 'very lesbian when drunk' and would describe herself as 'straight with lesbian tendencies'. When we were done at the pub, she and I walked home together as we live fairly near each other. At the point where we split up, she gave me a really long hug and kissed me on the cheek (and I responded by doing the same to her).

That night left me wondering if there could be something more between us. But the thing is, I'm getting really strong signals from opposite poles. Sometimes I feel like there's definitely something there; and sometimes, I feel like there's no chance.

For instance, a few nights before the end of term, we were at a bar where there was a dance band doing jazz music. Several things happened there. Firstly, she admitted that she would have kissed me sober. Second, we danced together one hell of a lot (including slow dancing). Third, she called me her Christmas love. <3 (and I really REALLY hope she meant it!)

The next night, it was her birthday and for a while things seemed to go in the exact opposite direction. Basically in this situation I think that it could be a battle between 3 people in her life: Me, her ex (L), and this guy (B) who she quite likes. She was annoyed because B had said he was coming to her birthday party but didn't show. At one point I walked into her bedroom to get my phone out of my bag and she was sitting there talking to 2 friends about him and in that moment, I felt like the night before had been completely meaningless. She said she would just have to accept that he didn't like her.

A bit later in the night, she said "Screw men I'm going to be in a relationship with Lucy (me) instead."

Later still we went to a club where she was rather quick to get picked up by a guy. I quickly excused myself to go to the loo because I really didn't want to face watching her with him, but when I got back she started signalling at me to help her get away from him. Apparently out of the entire group I was the only one that noticed while everyone else thought she was really into him. So I kept having to intervene in an attempt to get him to back off. Damn guy was bloody persistent though. A later said that she'd been tempted to snog me to get away from him but hadn't done so in case the guy thought it was hot.

The next day was the last day of term and I had been planning on talking to her to sort things out before the term ended. However, I wasn't able to get her by herself (and to be frank I was too much of a wuss to even try getting her alone). But she mentioned something about talking with her ex-boyfriend, which does not bode as a good sign for me because it means she might get back together with him.

I'm sick of wondering, and I'm sick of mixed signals, but I'm such an introvert and don't really know how to approach her about this. I'm back home now on the opposite side of the world from her so talking to her face-to-face isn't an option for the next month at least. However I really don't want to wait that long to clear things up with her. I was thinking of writing a facebook private message or something, but that might seem a bit impersonal.

So I guess my question is: What do I do next?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So a facebook message is too impersonal, but you can't talk to her unless she's alone, and you can't talk to her when she's alone because you clam up. My father would say "Well, seems like you have all the bases covered for doing nothing now." :slight_smile:

Basically, you're going to have to move outside your comfort zone in order to make a move. And being apart from her will make this easier, I think. Go ahead and send her a FB message. I think establishing a conversation first is probably a good idea, rather than saying (metaphorically) "Hey, I'm interested in you. You interested?" Send her a message, tell her you miss hanging out with her (or some such), and get a reply or two before you nudge into that territory.

Lex

3. Chandra

I'm an introvert too and I spent a year and a half crushing on someone and trying to read mixed signals. So I can sympathize. From what you're describing it sounds like she may have an interest in you, but she may not really be ready to accept and/or deal with it yet. You'll never know unless you talk to her.

4. Sparty313

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oh man I do know exactly what you are going through. I have a friend who is constantly sending me mixed signals, it was really bad during the summer..but yea of course it doesn't help when I'm not even sure what i want, so I guess my advice to you would be talk to to her. I definitely think she is diggin u in some type of way, maybe the break will give u both time to clear up and gain the strength to discuss the feelings u both may have towards one another. Def keep in contact with her over break, you don't have to directly ask her flat out, but rather drop some hints that u want to discuss it and see how her reaction may be. If shes not ready to talk about it, u may not get a true, honest response from her..Its tough, but communication is key!

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone who replied! :slight_smile: I think I will take the facebook message approach. I was thinking on Christmas day (I'm not sure if I'm going to do this) that I would send her a message saying 'Merry Christmas my Christmas love' and throw what she called me before right back at her, and see what happens. I'm not at all sure about this though.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally would be confused as heck by a "my Christmas love" message, but it makes sense in the context of your relationship. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^It's cos she called me that once already :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: *grins giddily*

8. maverick

Good luck on the FB message.

I hung out with the dudes in school, so I am of sort of no help on this one. The behavior of my few (straight) female friends was always baffling to me. I can't even imagine being in this situation. :lol:

Personally, based on her behavior, I would come on to her a little - some light touching, some extended eye contact, that sort of thing. And flirt heavily through text and FB. She seems like she is dropping hints that she would be open to exploring a same-sex relationship with you (or at least some sexual experimentation) and is waiting for some signal from you in response.

9. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok I'll try! :slight_smile:

10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. Christ. I am sitting here with a fb message on my screen with A's name in the inbox, and I can't figure out what the damn hell to say to her.

EDIT: What I just did:

You know that fb app where you answer questions about people? I thought I would use that to my advantage. I went through the questions for ages skipping them all until it asked me a question about A. The question that came up was 'Do you think A dreams about you?'

I clicked yes and published it to her profile page.

#10 GlindaRose, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That might work. But if you don't get a response in a day or so (it doesn't exactly demand one), go ahead and send her a message.

Lex

12. Chandra

Listen, OP. I have been in your shoes, and I'm going to tell you what I wish someone had told me when I was going through this. You can play the Facebook flirting game until you're blue in the face. You can send her subtle little hints, wait to see how she responds, overanalyze her response to death, send more little hints, and on and on and on... and you won't get any closer to knowing if she's really into you. There is A LOT of flirting that "straight" girls can get away with, without having to renounce their straightness. And it can go on FOREVER.

The only way you will ever know for sure where you stand with her is if you flat. Out. Ask her. (...Or plant a wet one on her lips when she least suspects it...) And believe me, I know the idea is terrifying! I've been there! But I swear to you it is the only way.

13. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Chandra. I will think about what you said. I've started a text conversation with her, so maybe something will come of that.